1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is the constant excluded?

1. Feb 20, 2010 #1
    For a question like In an experiment, the external diameter D and internal diameter d of a metal tube were found to be (64 +/- 2) mm and (47 +/- 1) mm respectively. What is the maximum percentage error for the cross-sectional area of the metal tube?

I will need to find the external area.
    So, area = pi(1/2d)^2
    But I'm confused over whether should the uncertainty change?
    What I mean was 1/2(64 +/- 2) = (32 +/- 1) ??
    Or will the uncertainty remain at 2? If it remains at 2, the percentage uncertainty will definitely change.

And why does the formula R=kAB, k is a constant and A and B are physical terms, has the uncertainty formula tR / R = tA / A + tB / B
    where tR / R, tA / A, tB / B are fractional uncertainty.
    Why is the constant excluded?
    R = kAB = AB + AB + AB ... + AB
    So won't the uncertainty add up?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2010 #2
    Re: uncertainty

Yes. X = 64 +/- 2 means we are sure that X is between 62 and 66, which is equivalent to saying X/2 is between 31 and 33, hence X = 32 +/- 1. Multiplication by a constant always preserves relative error.

The absolute uncertainty adds up. The relative uncertainty is unchanged since
    [tex]\frac{\Delta R}{R} = \frac{k \Delta(AB)}{k AB} = \frac{\Delta(AB)}{AB}[/tex]
  4. Feb 20, 2010 #3

Ok. Thanks for clearing up things.

"Multiplication by a constant always preserves relative error"

This is also due to the constant being canceled right?
  5. Feb 20, 2010 #4

Yes, that's right.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook