Why is the core of our earth so hot?

In summary, the core of our Earth is hot due to friction, nuclear decay of heavier elements, and pressure during its formation. Other stars and planets may have different heating processes, and the molten core serves a purpose by creating a magnetic field and reducing harmful particles reaching the Earth's surface.
alchemist
why is the core of our Earth so hot? what causes it to be so? and why some other stars and planets like neptune/uranus (i forgot) does no have such a hot core? and what purpose does the molten core of our Earth serve?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Greetings !

Welcome to PF alchemist !
Originally posted by alchemist
why is the core of our Earth so hot?
what causes it to be so?
Friction and nuclear decay of the heavier
elements that "sank in" during Earth's formation.
and why some other stars and planets like neptune/uranus (i forgot) does no have such a hot core? and what purpose does the molten core of our Earth serve?
In stars there's nuclear fusion of elements in
the center. They're extremely hot inside and
outside.

As for other planets, I believe that the same
thing happens there too, but the specifics
depend on the planet's formation and elements
present. I'm not sure about the way it works
in gas giants though.

I'm not sure what you mean by - "what purpose does
the molten core... serve ?". It's just there.

Live long and prosper.

Friction and nuclear decay of the heavier elements
And don't forget pressure.

why is the core of our Earth so hot? what causes it to be so? and why some other stars and planets like neptune/uranus (i forgot) does no have such a hot core? and what purpose does the molten core of our Earth serve?

Initally, the heat came from the energy of the material as it condensed to form the Earth. Additional heat is added by the radioactive elements as already mentioned. As the Surface of the Earth cooled, and the Crust formed, the molten interior was surrounded by a natural insulator. This insulation, in the form of solid rock, traps the heat inside pretty effectively.

The gas giants don't have a solid surface, and as such, can lose heat faster.

Janus
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initally, the heat came from the energy of the material as it condensed to form the Earth. Additional heat is added by the radioactive elements as already mentioned. As the Surface of the Earth cooled, and the Crust formed, the molten interior was surrounded by a natural insulator. This insulation, in the form of solid rock, traps the heat inside pretty effectively.

The gas giants don't have a solid surface, and as such, can lose heat faster.
Also, radioactive elements tend to be of higher atomic number, more common with terrestrial planets.

Is lava significantly more radioactive than the crust in general?

Friction and nuclear decay of the heavier

It's similar to the way the core of a star forms (plus pressure)

What about the movie? Seems silly to me.

and what purpose does the molten core of our Earth serve?

Purpose? Like the existential purpose of being? No answer there.

But, the flow of the iron in the core creates a magnetic field for the Earth. The Earth's magnetic field reduces the amount of cosmic rays and ionized particles reaching the Earth's surface (good for us). It also creates the aurorae at the north and south poles.

1. What causes the core of our earth to be so hot?

The heat in the core of our earth is primarily caused by two things: the leftover heat from the formation of our planet and radioactive decay of elements. When the earth was first formed, the particles that came together to create it released a lot of energy, which contributed to the heat in the core. Additionally, elements like uranium and potassium continue to decay over time, releasing heat as a byproduct.

2. How hot is the core of our earth?

The core of our earth is estimated to have a temperature of about 5,400 degrees Celsius (9,800 degrees Fahrenheit). This is much hotter than the surface of the sun!

3. Why doesn't the core of our earth cool down over time?

The core of our earth doesn't cool down because of the constant heat production from radioactive decay. Additionally, the high pressure in the core of the earth helps to trap the heat, preventing it from escaping and allowing it to build up over time.

4. How do we know the core of our earth is so hot if we can't physically reach it?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the core of our earth, including seismic waves, magnetic fields, and computer simulations. These methods provide evidence of the high temperatures in the core and help us understand its composition and behavior.

5. Could the core of our earth ever cool down completely?

It is highly unlikely that the core of our earth will ever cool down completely. As long as there is radioactive decay and high pressure in the core, there will continue to be heat production and retention. However, the core may cool down slightly over millions of years as the rate of radioactive decay decreases and the heat dissipates into space.