1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is the e field 0?

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An inner conductor has radius 1.5cm and linear charge density 6 nC/m and the outer conduct has no net charge. The outer conductor has radius 4.5cm and 6.5cm.
    Find the e field for all values of R where R is the perpendicular distance from the common axis of cylindrical system.

In the book they had that E=0 for r<1.5cm.
    Why is that, shouldn't E=0 if it was a hollow conductor. In this case the book is drawing the conductor has a solid cylinder, not a hollow one. The big conductor is hollow with the 2 radius but not he smaller one. Can someone explain this to me.

Edit-I think they assumed the charge would be 0 for r<1.5cm

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Hmm I think I would need to see a pic to make sure I fully understand what the object is. You should be able to use Gauss for each situation in these types of problems.

4. Sep 6, 2011 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If there is a non-zero field within a conducting material, what will happen to the charges which are free to move?

5. Sep 6, 2011 #4
  6. Sep 7, 2011 #5
    ask urself what will happen if there is an electric field set up within a conductor. what will happen to the charges?

7. Sep 7, 2011 #6
    In a conductor the charge is on the surface. Hence E will be zero

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook