Why is the Eiffel tower famous?

• Thread starter watermelonisnice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tower
In summary, the Eiffel Tower is a popular tourist destination in Paris due to its impressive size and unique design. It was originally built for the World's Fair and has since become a symbol of France's engineering and architectural prowess. While it may not be the tallest structure in modern times, it was a groundbreaking achievement when it was built. Its construction and elevators continue to amaze people, and its location in a city with mostly low-rise buildings adds to its grandeur. The Eiffel Tower has also played a role in history, with its long-wave time signals and its connection to the Statue of Liberty and world conflicts.
watermelonisnice
Why is the Eiffel Tower a popular tourist destination in Paris, is it a unique structure? I want to know everyone's opinion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because it is a massive tower in the middle of Paris...
It is not actually that tall or big by modern standards (there are taller skyscrapers), but keep in mind that it is ~150 years old and back then it must have been incredible.
Also, it IS very impressive if you are there in person; it is hard to get the sense of scale when you just see it on photos or TV...it is very, very big and tall.

Likes DennisN, Klystron, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
watermelonisnice said:
Why is the Eiffel Tower a popular tourist destination in Paris, is it a unique structure? I want to know everyone's opinion.
I'm not sure this is a matter of opinion, but rather a matter of history. It was built for the World's Fair - it is, by design, a tourist attraction.

Likes Klystron and Vanadium 50
It's not unique, as there is also the Blackpool Tower:

1617284546641.png

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
It's not unique, as there is also the Blackpool Tower:

View attachment 280718
I wouldn't mistake that for the Eiffel Tower.

Likes Vanadium 50
Is nobody amazed that this has stood for almost a century and a half and was made by the same people who gave us Peugeot?

• Haha
Likes DennisN, russ_watters and Twigg
Same people who made the Statue of Liberty I think.

• Informative
Likes Klystron
256bits said:
Same people who made the Statue of Liberty I think.

Literally. While Bartholdi was the artist, the engineer who made sure it didn't fall down was a fellow named Gustave Eiffel.

Likes Klystron and 256bits
Baluncore said:
but the Shard will not. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shard

You mean it's supposed to look like that? Oh. My.

I guess it's true. Doctors bury their mistakes, but all an architect can do is plant ivy.

• Haha
Likes russ_watters
When the Tower was built some serious (and numerous kooky) people sought to tap into "geomantic currents" thought to be swirling within the Earth. Similar factions thought Le Tour and the Paris underground construction either sought, relied upon or disturbed said currents.

Electromagnetics was poorly understood then. Also see dowsing.

Italian semiotics professor Umberto Eco explores this aspect of Eiffel Tower fame in his history textbooks and novel "Foucault's Pendulum".

f95toli said:
It is not actually that tall or big by modern standards (there are taller skyscrapers), but keep in mind that it is ~150 years old and back then it must have been incredible.
I think so too.

f95toli said:
Also, it IS very impressive if you are there in person; it is hard to get the sense of scale when you just see it on photos or TV...it is very, very big and tall.
I agree. When you are there in person it is huge. Just being under the tower is a dizzying feeling.
Here is a panoramic view from underneath the tower on Google Maps.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters and Klystron
It was almost 40 years before a larger structure (the Chrysler Building in NYC) was constructed. But Paris is not a very "tall" city - in that respect it is more like Washington DC than New York. This is especially so in the 7th and 16th arrondissements around the tower. So it looks even bigger in context.

According to the French Standards of the day, the original long-wave time signals broadcast from the Eiffel Tower were not Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), they were actually “delayed Paris Time”, delayed by about 9 minutes and 21 seconds.

The subconscious plays an interesting role in history. The Statue of Liberty was certainly an excellent investment, it has now helped liberate the French twice. It seems the Eiffel Tower was so attractive that it resulted in a little unpleasantness, mainly between 1914-18 and 1939-45.
Since the Fernsehturm was built in Berlin, the attractive forces have been better balanced. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernsehturm_Berlin

1. Why was the Eiffel Tower built?

The Eiffel Tower was built as the entrance arch for the 1889 World's Fair, also known as the Exposition Universelle. It was meant to showcase France's industrial and technological prowess at the time.

2. How tall is the Eiffel Tower?

The Eiffel Tower stands at 324 meters (1,063 feet) tall, making it the tallest structure in Paris. It was the tallest structure in the world until the Chrysler Building was built in New York City in 1930.

3. How long did it take to build the Eiffel Tower?

The construction of the Eiffel Tower took 2 years, 2 months, and 5 days. It began in January 1887 and was completed on March 31, 1889.

4. Why is the Eiffel Tower considered a symbol of Paris?

The Eiffel Tower is considered a symbol of Paris because of its iconic and recognizable silhouette, as well as its historical significance as a representation of French culture and engineering. It has become a popular tourist attraction and a symbol of love and romance.

5. Can you go up the Eiffel Tower?

Yes, visitors can go up the Eiffel Tower either by taking the stairs or using the elevators. There are three levels that can be visited, with the top level offering panoramic views of Paris. However, the tower may be closed at certain times due to maintenance or weather conditions.