Why is the escape velocity of Earth so fast?

In summary, the escape velocity of Earth is about 27,000 miles per hour. This is the speed needed to escape Earth once no other forces than gravity act on the spaceship. It is not the speed at which the Space Shuttle travels for an extended period of time. The concept of escape velocity is used to refer to the velocity needed to escape Earth, instead of saying that you can escape by applying a certain force for a certain amount of time.
syano
Help me understand this please.

Why is the escape velocity of Earth so fast? Doesn’t the gravitational pull of the Earth weaken as you get farther away from the center of the Earth?

I can jump a couple feet into the air… I’m am going upwards nowhere near 27k miles an hour… if I could leverage my feet on air, couldn’t I apply the same amount of force to go another few feet in the air until I escape the Earth? High altitude balloons can almost escape Earth and are going nowhere near 27k miles an hour. Yet I know, (because I have heard it many times before) that the escape velocity of Earth is about 27,000 miles an hour.

Why can’t you go upwards at 1 mile an hour until you escaped Earth?

What’s the scoop?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to read this, it explains it better than I can.

Thanks, I get it now… I think. So the Space Shuttle (when taking off) doesn’t go 25 thousand miles per hour for any extended period of time… if any at all. People refer to escape velocity as just a simple way to refer to something? Instead of saying you can escape Earth by going one mile an hour provided you continue to apply “x” amount of force for “t” amount of time.

Is that right?

syano said:
Help me understand this please.

Why is the escape velocity of Earth so fast? Doesn’t the gravitational pull of the Earth weaken as you get farther away from the center of the Earth?

I can jump a couple feet into the air… I’m am going upwards nowhere near 27k miles an hour… if I could leverage my feet on air, couldn’t I apply the same amount of force to go another few feet in the air until I escape the Earth? High altitude balloons can almost escape Earth and are going nowhere near 27k miles an hour. Yet I know, (because I have heard it many times before) that the escape velocity of Earth is about 27,000 miles an hour.

Why can’t you go upwards at 1 mile an hour until you escaped Earth?

What’s the scoop?

Thanks,

As long as you could continously apply a force on the spaceship to maintain a given upwards velocity, you could get as far as you like away from the earth.
The crucial issue with escape velocity, is that this is the velocity you'll need to have to escape Earth once no other forces than gravity acts on the spaceship.
(It depends on the distance from the center of the Earth at the place where this condition (no other forces than gravity) occurs)

syano said:
Thanks, I get it now… I think. So the Space Shuttle (when taking off) doesn’t go 25 thousand miles per hour for any extended period of time… if any at all. People refer to escape velocity as just a simple way to refer to something? Instead of saying you can escape Earth by going one mile an hour provided you continue to apply “x” amount of force for “t” amount of time.

Is that right?
Yes, you are right, but its more than just a convention. If at any time you stopped applying a force to an object moving up at 1mph (below whatever altitude the escape velocity is 1mph), it'll fall back to earth. An object at escape velocity will never fall back to eart.

syano said:

Is that right?

Hi Syano.

The Shuttle NEVER goes 25K mph. Take a look at http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/academy/rocket_sci/satellites/hohmann.html. It explains how you transfer from orbit to orbit in space.

To be in orbit, you need to be going ~18K mph or ~7.75 km/sec. That's roughly the velocity of the Shuttle. In the graphic on the website, that's orbit 'A'. If you want to go higher, you do a maneuvering burn. When you do the burn, you're at the intersection of orbit 'A' and orbit 'B'. You are going faster, so you'll go into an orbit which takes you farther out of the gravity well (orbit 'B'). As you go farther out, you'll be slowing down (gravity pulls you back). The maximum distance away (intersection of 'B' and 'C') depends on how fast you were going at the intersecion of 'A' and 'B'. You're still in what is called a bounded orbit (meaning you'll always come back) so long as you don't hit escape velocity. If you hit escape velocity, that means that the intersection of orbits 'B' and 'C' is an infinite distance away... your velocity of ~11 km/sec in low Earth orbit (LEO) was just enough to get you to zero velocity an infinite distance away. If you have more velocity than that, you'll go into a parabolic orbit.

Hope that makes some sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
The crucial issue with escape velocity, is that this is the velocity you'll need to have to escape Earth once no other forces than gravity acts on the spaceship.

IOW, "escape velocity" is the speed you must be going in order to coast away from Earth. That's why is referred to as a "velocity" rather than an "acceleration".

1. Why is the escape velocity of Earth so fast?

The escape velocity of Earth is fast because it is directly related to the mass and radius of the planet. Earth has a relatively large mass and radius compared to other planets in our solar system, which means it has a stronger gravitational pull. This strong gravitational pull requires objects to have a higher velocity in order to escape Earth's gravitational pull.

2. How is the escape velocity of Earth calculated?

The escape velocity of Earth can be calculated using the equation v = √(2GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and r is the radius of the planet. When these values are plugged in, the resulting velocity is approximately 11.2 km/s.

3. What factors affect the escape velocity of a planet?

The two main factors that affect the escape velocity of a planet are its mass and radius. A planet with a larger mass and radius will have a stronger gravitational pull, requiring a higher escape velocity. The distance from the planet's center also plays a role, as the escape velocity decreases as you move further away from the planet.

4. Can the escape velocity of Earth change?

The escape velocity of Earth can change, but it would require a significant change in the planet's mass or radius. For example, if Earth's mass were to increase, the escape velocity would also increase. However, these changes are not significant enough to affect the escape velocity in a noticeable way.

5. How does the escape velocity of Earth compare to other planets?

Compared to other planets in our solar system, Earth's escape velocity is relatively high. This is due to its larger mass and radius. For example, the escape velocity of Mars is only about 5 km/s, while the escape velocity of Jupiter is over 60 km/s. This means that objects would need to travel at a much higher velocity to escape the gravitational pull of these planets compared to Earth.