Gravitational Constant in GR: How & Why?

In summary, the gravitational constant is used in General Relativity to ensure that it reduces to Newtonian gravity in the appropriate limit and to serve as a universal conversion factor between different units. Therefore, no new constant needed to be measured for GR as the same constant from classical gravitation can be used.
Zak
(precursor: I have not formally studied GR)

I have noticed that the gravitational constant found in classical gravitation is also used in GR. Why is this the case? Am I correct in thinking that the constant was determined by Cavendish and was for the classical theory of gravitation? So, my question: how do we know that the same gravitational constant is suitable for GR and why did we not have to, say, measure a new constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zak said:
(precursor: I have not formally studied GR)

I have noticed that the gravitational constant found in classical gravitation is also used in GR. Why is this the case? Am I correct in thinking that the constant was determined by Cavendish and was for the classical theory of gravitation? So, my question: how do we know that the same gravitational constant is suitable for GR and why did we not have to, say, measure a new constant?

We get ##G## into the Einstein equations by requiring that they reduce to the classical gravitation law in the limit of slow (test-)particles in low gravitational fields.

Essentially the reason is that we want GR to supersede Newtonian gravity.

Likes Zak
Zak said:
I have noticed that the gravitational constant found in classical gravitation is also used in GR. Why is this the case?
As JorisL mentioned, you can look at is as a requirement so that GR can reduce to Newtonian gravity in the appropriate limit.

Another way to look at it is that G is just a universal conversion factor between different units, so any time that you will convert between the same units you will get a the same conversion factor.

Likes JorisL
Zak said:
I have noticed that the gravitational constant found in classical gravitation is also used in GR. Why is this the case?
You can think of it in terms of reducing to Newtonian gravitation in the appropriate limit. You can also look at it as a conversion factor between different units. So then it is the same in both theories as long as you use the same units.

1. What is the gravitational constant in general relativity (GR)?

The gravitational constant in general relativity (GR) is a fundamental physical constant that determines the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. It is denoted by the symbol G and has a value of approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2.

2. How is the gravitational constant related to general relativity?

In general relativity, the gravitational constant G is used to describe the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass or energy. This curvature is what we experience as the force of gravity.

3. How is the gravitational constant determined in general relativity?

The value of the gravitational constant G is determined through experimental measurements and observations. It is a notoriously difficult constant to accurately measure, and there is ongoing research and debate about its exact value.

4. Why is the gravitational constant important in general relativity?

The gravitational constant is important in general relativity because it is a fundamental constant that allows us to understand and predict the behavior of gravity in the universe. Without it, we would not be able to accurately describe the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies.

5. How does the gravitational constant affect the theory of general relativity?

The value of the gravitational constant affects the predictions of general relativity, such as the bending of light by massive objects and the behavior of objects in strong gravitational fields. A different value of G could potentially lead to different predictions and a different understanding of the universe.