Exploring Hubble's Constant: Measurement Improvements

In summary, because of better instrumentation, the Hubble constant has been found to be different from what it was in the past. This difference is most likely due to measurement improvements. Additionally, because of the increased understanding of stars and mass/luminosity, astronomers have been able to better detect novas and stars that were previously undetectable.
s3a
Why is the modern value of Hubble's constant so different from today's measured value? At first I thought it was because the Hubble constant is related to density via:

ρ_c = 3H^2/(8*π*G)

but in the past 2011 - 1921 = 90 years, I don't think the density could have changed that much since it's a negligible amount of time in cosmological scales.

So this means, it boils down to measurement improvements but what specifically?

I would REALLY appreciate it if someone could explain and elaborate on this for me!
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Why is the value that Hubble originally calculated different than the one today.
for starters:
Improved instumentation.
A better understanding of stars - originally Cephoid stars were thought to be of one type

Thank you for your answer!

Just to say though, the "Improved instrumentation" is the typical vague answer I got (which I wasn't satisfied with) but fortunately for me, I found the answer to that after extensive research.

As for "originally [Cepheid] stars were thought to be of one type," I didn't know that and found that informative.

Thanks again!

Thank you for your answer!

Just to say though, the "Improved instrumentation" is the typical vague answer I got (which I wasn't satisfied with) but fortunately for me, I found the answer to that after extensive research.

As for "originally [Cepheid] stars were thought to be of one type," I didn't know that and found that informative.

Thanks again!

You are right, that is pretty vague.
The list could be several pages long.

Optical telescopes in space - example Hubble, Cobe
Radio arrays.
Infrared instrumentation.
Since more of the electromagnetic spectrum received from space can be recorded and analyzed nowadays, the data from radio waves, to visible light, to x-rays from an object, can be compared for agreement.

Better understanding of mass/luminosity for stars, supper novas.

1. What is Hubble's Constant?

Hubble's Constant is a measurement of the rate at which the universe is expanding. It is the ratio of the speed at which a galaxy is moving away from us to its distance from Earth.

2. Why is it important to improve the measurement of Hubble's Constant?

Improving the measurement of Hubble's Constant allows us to better understand the age and evolution of the universe, as well as the nature of dark energy which is believed to be responsible for the acceleration of the universe's expansion.

3. How has Hubble's Constant been measured in the past?

In the past, Hubble's Constant was measured using the Hubble Space Telescope and ground-based telescopes to observe the brightness and distance of objects called Cepheid variables. These measurements had a margin of error of about 10%.

4. What improvements have been made to measure Hubble's Constant more accurately?

New methods have been developed to measure Hubble's Constant, including using the gravitational lensing effect of galaxy clusters and the cosmic microwave background radiation. These methods have reduced the margin of error to about 2-3%.

5. What are the potential implications of a more accurate measurement of Hubble's Constant?

A more accurate measurement of Hubble's Constant could lead to a better understanding of the origin and composition of the universe, as well as the fate of the universe. It could also help test and refine existing theories of cosmology and potentially lead to new discoveries.