Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is the non headon collision between an object with momentum and an object at rest

1. Sep 3, 2009 #1
    Why does a non head on collision between objects with momentum and an object without momentum result in a 90 degree split? (objects have similar mass)

Could you please represent this in vector form? I'm not sure how I could represent this because it's not a head on collision but a side swipe....

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2009 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Re: Why is the non headon collision between an object with momentum and an object at

Normallly the objects have to be the same size, and there can be no losses in the collision (elastic collision), and the objects have to be free to travel in any direction, at least any direction on a plane.

4. Sep 3, 2009 #3
    Re: Why is the non headon collision between an object with momentum and an object at

well yea those conditions are assumed

5. Sep 3, 2009 #4
  6. Sep 3, 2009 #5

I still don't get how the collision results in a 90 degree angle, could someone show me some vector calculation with variables

7. Sep 3, 2009 #6

You have to write down the x and y components of momentum and energy, and solve the equations, See Andy Mason's post #5 in
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=311193&highlight=collision+equal+mass
    and determine what kind of triangle with sides A, B, and C (if any) satisfies the relation A2+B2 = C2.

8. Sep 3, 2009 #7

oh ok thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook