Why is Number-Flux Four-Vector Frame-Independent?

• I
  • Thread starter GR191511
  • Start date
In summary, the number-flux four-vector is frame-independent because it is a four vector and its components are defined in the local rest frame of the fluid, making it a scalar. This is different from Galilean physics where the number density and flux are frame-dependent.
GR191511
Recently I started studying 《A First Course in General Relativity》 and I came across a question in my book:
##\vec N =n\vec U##where n is number density,U is four-velocity,N is number-flux four-vector .The following sentence confused me:
In Galilean physics,number density was a scalar,the same in all frames(no Lorentz contraction),while flux was quite another thing:a three-vector that was frame dependent,since the velocities of particles are a frame-dependent notion.Our relativistic approach has unified these two notions into a single,frame-independent four-vector...
I wonder Why the number-flux four-vector is frame-independent?

Physics news on Phys.org
All four-vectos are frame independent

You should read page 88 (in the second edition) where it is explained what 'frame independent' means in this case

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes GR191511, dextercioby and PeroK
GR191511 said:
I wonder Why the number-flux four-vector is frame-independent?
Because it's a four vector. They're frame independent by construction.

I think what you need to do is convince yourself that ##nU^a## actually represents something meaningful, and that it represents something meaningful whether ##U^a## is parallel to your frame's timelike axis or not. The usual way to go about it is to imagine a very large number of particles each with velocity ##U^a##. Then convince yourself that the number of particles crossing an infinitesimal plane depends on the number density ##n## and the velocity field ##U^a##, then convince yourself that the transformation properties of ##U^a## supply the right factors of ##\gamma## so that the transformed flux density behaves as you expect.

Likes GR191511, PeroK and vanhees71
The components of the 4-velocity are still frame dependent even if the 4-velocity itself is an invariant geometric object. This means that also the number density itself is frame dependent in relativity (##n## is the number density in the rest frame and is a scalar) just as the flux, which is number density times velocity just as in Galilean spacetime.

Likes GR191511, PeroK, Ibix and 1 other person
Yes, and that's why one defines (!) such medium-related "intrinsic" quantities in the local rest frame(s) of the fluid and thus becoming a scalar. That holds also for thermodynamic quantities like temperature or chemical potential.

Likes GR191511 and Ibix

1. Why is number-flux four-vector frame-independent?

The number-flux four-vector is frame-independent because it is a mathematical representation of the flow of particles or energy through a given area. This means that the numerical value of the number-flux four-vector will be the same regardless of the observer's frame of reference. This is a fundamental principle in physics known as Lorentz invariance.

2. How does the number-flux four-vector relate to special relativity?

The number-flux four-vector is a crucial concept in special relativity because it helps to explain how the flow of particles or energy is affected by the relative motion of observers. It allows us to calculate the number of particles or amount of energy that will be observed by different observers moving at different velocities.

3. Can the number-flux four-vector be used in other areas of physics?

Yes, the number-flux four-vector has applications in various areas of physics, such as electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and general relativity. It is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of particles and energy in different physical systems.

4. How is the number-flux four-vector calculated?

The number-flux four-vector is calculated by taking the product of the number density (number of particles per unit volume) and the four-velocity (a four-dimensional vector that describes the motion of a particle in space-time). This gives us a four-vector with components representing the flow of particles in the x, y, z, and time directions.

5. Why is understanding frame-independence important in physics?

Understanding frame-independence is crucial in physics because it allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations that are consistent across different frames of reference. It is a fundamental concept in theories such as special relativity and is essential for understanding the behavior of particles and energy in the universe.