1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is the potential difference across the 3ohm resistor zero and parallel batteries

1. Jun 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have two questions. Both questions are in the picture below. Dont mind my workings lol

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5680/scanpic0001qe.jpg [Broken]

Ans to the 1st qn: C

The potential difference across the 3ohm resistor is zero. Thus, it can be considered that the 4ohm and 2 ohm resistor is in parallel with the 8ohm and 4 ohm resistor. So the effective resistance between A and B is

(1/(4+2) +1/(8+4))^-1 = 4ohms

But my question is, why is the p.d. across 3 ohm resistor zero?

Ans to the 2nd qn: C

The effective e.m.f is 1.5v and effective internal resistance is (1/3 + 1/3+1/3)^-1 = 1ohms
    E=I(R+r)
    1.5=I(10 + 1)
    I=0.14A

And my question is, how does the circuit work? Why do we have the consider all of the internal resistance of the batteries?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2012 #2
    Re: Why is the potential difference across the 3ohm resistor zero and parallel batter

Question (1) is a typical wheatstone bridge. This bridge has potential difference in the middle resistor equal to zero if the other resistors have the relation

[tex]\frac{R_1}{R_3} = \frac{R_2}{R_4}[/tex]

Where resistors are taken R1, R3, R4, R2 clockwise from A in your diagram. You can prove this using Kirchoff's laws.

For question (2)
    Every resistor is an opposition to the flow of current. Battery's internal resistance is not an exception to this. Electrons try to cross the battery and are obstructed within. So you do have to consider its resistance. To make it simpler, you can even assume it as a separate resistor just beside the battery, as it makes no difference to the problem.

4. Jun 10, 2012 #3
    Re: Why is the potential difference across the 3ohm resistor zero and parallel batter

Question (2)
    As you see all the internal resistors which normally taken as a series resistor to the emf.
    All are connected at one end. The other ends all have the same potential.
    So you can connect all in parallel have a single battery.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook