Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is there a hierarchy of Super Mentors?

1. Oct 7, 2005 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I find it very distressing that our esteemed Super Mentors Moonbear and vanesch have been ignored to the point that their names isn't even displayed
    in the "Super Mentors list" in the "View Forum Leaders" thread.

This type of subtle power games can be very corrosive on the affected individuals' self-confidences to the point that they cannot supermentoring anymore! :cry:

I urge the powers that be that they should look kindly upon our newest Super Mentors and enroll them into those lists they are entitled to being enrolled in.

EDIT:
    Oh dear, I just saw that they have just been enrolled in that list, Sorry..:blushing:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2005 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

Your suckuping skills are beyond supreme :biggrin:

Oh and probably because they werent added as Moderators of any of the forums? Like Monique and someone else is a mod for Biology.. I donno maybe 2 mods per forum is max?

I say we nominate Moonbear to be a mod for Brain Teasers :tongue2:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  4. Oct 7, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's okay, I don't mind. :rofl:

We're still in training (at least that's what the other mentors tell us when they hand us the mop and bucket and send us to clean the executive restroom :uhh:).

Do you really hate me that much? :frown:

5. Oct 7, 2005 #4

Mk

Well, to answer to OP's question, here is why, written by Bernhardt himself I might add.

6. Oct 7, 2005 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, I cannot lie and assert that I am wholly "unskilled", but it was a sincere and heart-felt appeal from my part, since we cannot live with Super Mentors who have been trodden down by scorn, ridicule and held enchained by inferiority complexes.

It was, simply put, a matter of civic duty for me to speak out.

Good idea!
    Perhaps vanesch will Super Mentor the TD Archives? :uhh:

7. Oct 7, 2005 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Oh, perhaps not the Brain Teasers, then.
    What about..GD?

8. Oct 7, 2005 #7
    ohhh MOD's in training , sounds so cool! Study hard Moonbear, make us proud!

9. Oct 7, 2005 #8

cronxeh

Gold Member

:rofl:

Are you insane? Why, I'd never! :grumpy:

Actually come to think about it I think there would be a good idea to start a new forum about Grad Student Life and make Moony the mod for that :biggrin: I think something along lines of http://www.phdcomics.com/proceedings/ Piled Higher and Deeper forum, but in a bit more advanced setting such as PF :biggrin:

No but seriously there are a lot of grad students around here and I'm sure an exchange of research related ideas and suggestions would be refreshing

10. Oct 7, 2005 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You mean I didn't have to buy Greg that new car? :confused:

11. Oct 7, 2005 #10
    This is a great idea. I really like it. And I love piled higher and deeper... it is too true.

12. Oct 7, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you think the rest of this forum is supposed to be used for? You know, all that stuff up top. :biggrin: And, actually, back when we first started the academic and career guidance forum, I envisioned it being a place for grad students to swap ideas too, not just for the undergrads to ask what physics class to take. I thought it might be a place where folks could ask for teaching advice for their first solo course, or discuss ideas for innovative ways to present tough concepts to a class, or ideas on how to deal with a bad mentor, etc. There's no reason at all that grad students and post-docs can't ask their questions there too (it might even help the undergrads see what they are getting themselves into as they're thinking of applying to grad school so they can make a more informed decision if they have the sort of dedication it really takes).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?