1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is there a second pivot?

1. Oct 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use LU factorization with partial pivoting for the following set of equations:

3x1 - 2x2 + x3 = -10
    2x1 + 6x2 - 4x3 = 44
    -8x1 - 2x2 + 5x3 = -26

3. The attempt at a solution
    I made an attempt to solve this problem, but my answer was wrong compared to the book. There was an additional partial pivot after setting elements 21 & 31 equal to zero. I just would like to know why?

The following is what I got for my L and U matrices:

U=
    [ -8 -2 5 ]
    [ 0 5.5 -3.25]
    [ 0 0 1.25]

L=
    [1 0 0]
    [.25 1 0]
    [.775 0.5 1]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do your L and U matrices, when multiplied together, give the original matrix of coefficients? The first row of your U is identical to the third row of the coefficient matrix. Coincidence?

4. Oct 8, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please show your work details, step-by-step. When I do it (with [-8,-2,5] in row 1 and [3,-2,1] in row 3) I get a different U from yours and do not need any more "partial" pivots; straight pivoting works perfectly well. Or, maybe, I have not understood your question---but I still get a different U.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted