Understanding the Equivalence in Diophantine Relations

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing diophantine relations and their properties over different types of rings. It includes a proof involving the real number $r$ and its representation in terms of a subset $D$ of $\mathbb{N}$. The question is raised about the equivalence of $n \in D$ and the existence of $p$ and $m$ such that $mr - p < \frac{1}{10}$. The expert provides a detailed explanation of how this equivalence can be understood by examining the representation of $r$ in terms of $m$ and $p$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I am reading the following part of the paper of Denef (http://www.ams.org/journals/tran/1978-242-00/S0002-9947-1978-0491583-7/S0002-9947-1978-0491583-7.pdf):

Let $R$ be a commutative ring with unity and let $D(x_1,\dots , x_n)$ be a relation in $R$. We say that $D (x_1,\dots , x_n)$ is diophantine over $R$ if there exists a polynomial $P(x_1,\dots , x_n,y_1,\dots ,y_m)$ over $R$ such that for all $x_1,\dots , x_n$ in $R$ : $$D(x_1, \dots , x_n) \leftrightarrow \exists y_1, \dots , y_m \in R : P(x_1, \dots , x_n, y_1, \dots , y_m)=0$$

Let $R'$ be a subring of $R$ and suppose $P$ can be chosen such that its coefficients lay in $R'$, then we say that $D (x_1,\dots , x_n)$ is diophantine over $R$ with coefficients in $R'$.

Proposition 1.
Let $R$ be an integral domain of characteristic zero. Suppose there exists a subset $S$ of $R$ which contains $\mathbb{Z}$ and which is diophantine over $R[T]$; then $\mathbb{Z}$ is diophantine over $R[T]$.
In particular, this is true when $R$ contains $\mathbb{Q}$. A relation is diophantine over $\mathbb{Z}[T]$ if and only if it is recursively enumerable. Corollary (M. Boffa).
Every subset $D$ of $\mathbb{N}$ is diophantine over $R[T]$. Proof.
Let $r$ be the real number $r = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{a_n}{10^{n+1}}$, where $a_n = 0$ for $n \in D$ and $a_n = 1$ for $n \notin D$.
Then we have
$$n \in D \leftrightarrow n \in N \land \exists p, m \in N: \left (m = 10^n \land 0 \leq mr - p < \frac{1}{10}\right )$$
But $\mathbb{Z}$ is diophantine over $R[T]$ by Proposition $1$, and every recursively enumerable relation in $\mathbb{Z}$ is diophantine over $\mathbb{Z}$. Thus, using elementary algebra, we see that $D$ is diophantine over $R[T]$.
I haven't understood the equivalence: $n \in D \leftrightarrow n \in N \land \exists p, m \in N: \left (m = 10^n \land 0 \leq mr - p < \frac{1}{10}\right )$

When $n \in D$ we have that $a_n=0$.

$r=\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}\frac{a_i}{10^{i+1}} \geq 0$ since the numeratoe is always $0$ or $1$.

We take $m=10^n$ so $mr=\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}\frac{a_i}{10^{i+1-n}}$.

Since $a_n=0$ we don't get the term $\frac{1}{10}$ at the sum.

But how do we know that there is a $p\in \mathbb{N}$ such that $mr - p < \frac{1}{10}$ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't say I fully understand all the business about rings and so on, but with respect to the number $r$, I think it might be helpful to write it out. So we suppose $n\in D$, which means that $a_n=0$. Further, we have
$$r=0.a_1a_2a_3a_4a_5\dots a_{n-1}0a_{n+1}\dots$$
Then we have $m=10^n$. And here, I think, is the problem. If you want to guarantee $mr-p<\frac{1}{10}$, then I think it should be $m=10^{n-1}$. Because when we multiply $r$ by $m$, I get
$$mr=a_1a_2a_3\dots a_{n-1}0.a_{n+1}\dots$$
Now $p\in \mathbb{N}$, so the best you can hope for is to knock off the integer part of $mr$. On the other hand, if you had multiplied by $10^{n-1}$, you'd have gotten
$$mr=a_1a_2a_3\dots a_{n-1}.0a_{n+1}\dots,$$
and now, you see, if you subtract off $p=a_1a_2a_3\dots a_{n-1},$ you get something smaller than $1/10$.

Alternatively, if the authors meant to have $mr-p<1$, that would also be possible. But unless the authors can also control $a_{n+1}$, I'm not sure I see how they can do that.

Does this help?

1. Why is there such a p?

This question may be referring to the letter "p" or the concept of a p-value in statistics. If it is about the letter, the short answer is that it is a part of the English alphabet, which was derived from the Latin alphabet. If it is about p-values, the answer is that p-values are a way to measure the level of statistical significance in a research study.

2. What does the p-value represent?

The p-value represents the probability of obtaining a result at least as extreme as the one observed in a study, assuming the null hypothesis is true. In simpler terms, it indicates the likelihood that the results of a study are due to chance.

3. How is the p-value calculated?

The exact calculation of a p-value depends on the type of statistical test being used. Generally, it involves comparing the observed data to a null distribution and determining the likelihood of obtaining the observed results under the null hypothesis. This can be done using statistical software or tables.

4. Why is the p-value important in scientific research?

The p-value is important because it allows researchers to determine if the results of a study are statistically significant. This means that the results are unlikely to be due to chance and are more likely to be a true effect. It helps researchers make decisions about whether to accept or reject their hypothesis.

5. What is a good p-value?

The interpretation of a "good" p-value depends on the context and the specific research question. In general, a p-value of less than 0.05 is considered statistically significant and indicates a low likelihood of the results being due to chance. However, it is important to note that p-values are not the only factor to consider in evaluating the validity of a study.