Why is thes true: i=(i-1)/(i+1)

• Thread starter Hacky
  • Start date
In summary, To show the equivalence of i*(i+1)=(i-1) and i = {(2+i)(3+i)/(2-i)(3-i)}, one can factor out i and use the standard representation of a fraction as a complex number. This can be seen by considering the angle of complex numbers and multiplying both numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator. This method is also used in Schellbach's formulae for calculating Pi from i.
Hacky
Of course I can see that i*(i+1)=(i-1) but is there some way (long division?) to show this in general? To show for example that i = {(2+i)(3+i)/(2-i)(3-i)}. Or to come up with these equivalencies, does one just multiply i by whatever you desire in the later expansion. I am reading about Schellbach's formulae to calculate Pi from i.

Thanks, Howard

Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way to at least see this would probably be to factor i out of the numerator.

Note that [tex]z=a+bi = re^{i\theta}[/tex] and [tex]\bar z=a-bi = re^{-i\theta}[/tex].

So, [tex]\frac{z}{\bar z}=e^{i(2\theta)}[/tex].

In your two examples, (i-1) and (2+i)(3+i) make an angle of pi/2 with their complex conjugates.

Or, the standard way to represent a fraction as a complex number: multiply both numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator:
[tex]\frac{i- 1}{i+ 1}= \frac{i-1i}{i+ 1}\frac{-i+1}{-i+1}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{(i-1)(-i+1)}{1- i^2}= \frac{-i^2+ 2i+ 1}{1+1}= \frac{2i}{2}= i[/tex]

1. What is the significance of the equation i=(i-1)/(i+1)?

The equation i=(i-1)/(i+1) is known as the Euler identity and is considered to be one of the most beautiful and important equations in mathematics. It relates the five fundamental mathematical constants: 0, 1, π, e, and i (the imaginary unit).

2. How does this equation relate to complex numbers?

The equation i=(i-1)/(i+1) is a fundamental property of complex numbers. The imaginary unit, i, is defined as the square root of -1, and this equation shows that i is equal to a complex number divided by its conjugate. This relationship is essential in understanding the behavior of complex numbers.

3. Can this equation be simplified or rearranged?

Yes, this equation can be rearranged to i^2+1=0, which is the standard form of the Euler identity. It can also be simplified to i=-1, which is known as the simplified form of the equation.

4. What is the practical application of this equation?

The Euler identity has numerous practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used in signal processing, quantum mechanics, and electrical engineering, among others. It is also used in creating fractal art and in cryptography.

5. How was this equation discovered?

The Euler identity was discovered by the famous mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century. He was analyzing the properties of complex numbers and their relationship to trigonometry when he stumbled upon this equation. It has since been recognized as one of the most elegant and profound equations in mathematics.