Why Does No Current Flow Between C and D in This Circuit?

In summary, the discussion is about a circuit with a source connected between terminals A and B, and resistors of 10 ohms each. The problem is underspecified as the location of sources and resistances is not specified. The conversation discusses the use of symmetry to solve the problem and how it leads to the conclusion that no current flows between points C and D. It is also mentioned that Thevenin's theorem can be used to find the Thevenin voltage Vcd by removing the resistance in branch CD. It is also noted that a short circuit between two points does not always mean that there is no current, but rather that the nodes are at the same voltage and can be shorted or open circuited without affecting the circuit
Kara386
In the circuit in the image attached, why does no current flow between C and D? I've been told it's a short circuit I just don't see why, there is a resistor in that branch. The source is connected between terminals A and B.

Attachments

• circuitdiagram.jpg
    circuitdiagram.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem is underspecified. Where are the sources? What are the resistances?

Likes Kara386
Khashishi said:
Your problem is underspecified. Where are the sources? What are the resistances?
Oh sorry! The source is connected between terminals A and B, which I took to mean in parallel across A and B although now I think about it that may not be what it means. Resistances are 10 ohms each. The problem is easy to solve once you know that no current flows between C and D, but I find it hard to see why no current flows there.

In general, there could be current. But, are the resistors all the same?

Likes Kara386
Khashishi said:
In general, there could be current. But, are the resistors all the same?
Yes, identical. We were told to use the symmetry of the problem to solve it.

Well, what do you think symmetry tells you?

Likes Kara386
Khashishi said:
Well, what do you think symmetry tells you?
I have no idea why symmetry would prevent current flowing between C and D. All I've ever been told about short circuits is you find them by finding a path from the positive to negative terminal that avoids going through any load.

What does symmetry tell you about the voltages in the nodes?

Likes Vanadium 50 and Kara386
- assume point A is connected to the positive source, and point B is connected to the negative source. Assume AB potential is V
- assume all resistance is the same
- do KVL around ADB loop. DB will have potential V/2
- do KVL around ACB loop. CB will have potential V/2 as well.
- Therefore with respect to B, Two points C and D have the same voltage potential, so no currents flow from C to D

I don't think you can call C-D short circuit since there is resistance between the two point. It just works out that the C and D have the same potential so no currents will flow.

Likes davenn and Kara386
Kara386 said:
I have no idea why symmetry would prevent current flowing between C and D. All I've ever been told about short circuits is you find them by finding a path from the positive to negative terminal that avoids going through any load.
You can use Thevenin's theorem here. Remove the resistance in branch CD and find the Thevenin voltage Vcd. It will be zero.

You'll need to use KVL for the two loops as @protoslash said in the previous post.

Likes Kara386
protoslash said:
- assume point A is connected to the positive source, and point B is connected to the negative source. Assume AB potential is V
- assume all resistance is the same
- do KVL around ADB loop. DB will have potential V/2
- do KVL around ACB loop. CB will have potential V/2 as well.
- Therefore with respect to B, Two points C and D have the same voltage potential, so no currents flow from C to D

I don't think you can call C-D short circuit since there is resistance between the two point. It just works out that the C and D have the same potential so no currents will flow.
Ah, that would lead to a sort of general principle that current doesn't cross a line of symmetry then. Doesn't flow from one side to the other. Thanks!

And in general, a short circuit between two points does not mean that there is no current but quite the opposite.

Kara386 said:
Ah, that would lead to a sort of general principle that current doesn't cross a line of symmetry then. Doesn't flow from one side to the other. Thanks!
Its more than that...

If two nodes are at exactly the same voltage then you can short them together or open circuit them without affecting the circuit. That can make it a lot easier analyse.

Likes cnh1995
Hi
because the deferential voltage on D and C will be zero (equivalent circuit from A to D and B equal to A to C and B)

1. Why does a short circuit occur?

A short circuit occurs when there is a low resistance connection between two points in an electrical circuit that are not meant to be connected. This causes a large, sudden flow of current, which can damage the circuit or start a fire.

2. How can a short circuit be detected?

A short circuit can be detected by using a multimeter to measure the resistance between the two points in the circuit. If the resistance is very low or close to zero, it indicates a short circuit. Additionally, if a circuit breaker or fuse repeatedly trips or blows, it can be a sign of a short circuit.

3. What are the causes of a short circuit?

A short circuit can be caused by a variety of factors such as damaged insulation on wires, loose connections, faulty components, or even water or moisture in the circuit. It can also occur due to human error, such as using incorrect wiring or overloading a circuit.

4. How can a short circuit be prevented?

To prevent a short circuit, it is important to properly install and maintain electrical systems. This includes using the correct wiring and ensuring all connections are secure. Regular inspections and maintenance can also help identify and fix any potential issues before they become a problem.

5. What are the dangers of a short circuit?

A short circuit can be dangerous as it can cause fires, electrical shocks, and damage to electrical equipment. In some cases, it can also lead to power outages and disruptions in electrical systems. It is important to address short circuits promptly to prevent any potential hazards.