1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is this extension normal?

1. Dec 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm following the solutions to a homework tutorial and I'm having trouble understanding why what they're saying is true.

Question: Let f be a polynomial in K[x] and let S be the splitting field of f over K. decide whether the extension S:K is galois and describe the structure of the Galois group Gal(S:K) for the polynomial x^3+2x+1 over ##F_3##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    S:F_3 will be a galois extension because the polynomial is separable and S is a finite splitting field for f over F_3.

Now I tried to construct the splitting field of F_3 to figure out what S looks like by first noticing that f has no roots in F_3, I then adjoined a root r to F_3. My notes say that "F_3(r):F_3 is normal and so all the roots of the minimal polynomial are in F_7(r)." I'm quite confused on how they know this extension is normal. I get that S:F is Galois, but for any intermediate field K such that S>K>F the extension K>F is not gaurentee'd to be normal. How do they know F_3(r):F_3 is normal?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Why ##\mathbb{F}_7##? You change the characteristic this way. If you have a root ##r##, why don't you calculate the other two roots of ##f(x)=x^3+2x+1##?

4. Dec 8, 2016 #3
    I'm sorry, I don't know why I keep typing ##F_7## >.<

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted