1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is this happening?

1. Aug 29, 2008 #1

tgt

I am doing a long 'essay' which is essentially an expansion of a graduate level proof but each time I write something like a lemma down and then try to go back to it, I don't seem to be able to understand it. In other words, I don't seem to understand what I wrote down myself. I do seem to understand it at the moment of writing it down. Why? Does this happen to anyone else?

How can it be corrected?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2008 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well its happened to me before in the sense that when I wrote that original stuff down, it actually had an error in it and didnt make sense. When I took some rest and came back to it, I look at it for a while wondering what I don't get, and finally realize that I was wrong lol. Just make sure you are taking good rest, read through it slowly, and if that doesn't work, it will most likely be solved if you get a fresh pair of eyes on it =]

4. Aug 29, 2008 #3

tgt

What level is yours?

A graduate level lemma can be two or more pages.

5. Aug 30, 2008 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well its happened to me on many different things, on many different levels. Regardless, the procedure is the same.

6. Aug 31, 2008 #5
    My immediate thought is "you didn't understand it properly in the first place".

7. Sep 1, 2008 #6

tgt

You are right, I didn't understand it. Wasn't it Feynman who said, 'I don't understand something until I'm able to create it'.

8. Sep 1, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree. This is part of the proofreading process. If you write something, then set it aside, and go back again, if it doesn't make sense to you, it certainly won't make sense to someone else. It means you need to edit/revise and make it clearer.

9. Sep 1, 2008 #8
    I am writing a report with 1 word per hour speed :cry:.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?