Why is this limit of 2 variables undefined? it looks like both = 0

In summary, the conversation is about finding the limit and determining whether it is undefined or not. The original poster is confused because their calculations show the limit to be 0, but the book says it is undefined. Another user suggests approaching zero along the curve (\sqrt{y},y) to show that the limit is actually 1/2. However, another user explains that to prove the limit does not exist, it is necessary to show that the limit along one curve differs from the limit along another curve. Simply computing limits along individual curves does not prove the existence of the limit.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone...I have the following problem, it tellls me to find the limit.
I attached the image which has my work, it looks like when u let y = 0, then let x = 0, both come out to 0! but the book says undefined, what am i doing wrong?
thanks.

Here is the image: http://show.imagehosting.us/show/800815/0/nouser_800/T0_-1_800815.jpg
that link seems to be slow so try this one:
http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/1834/lastscan8bp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can show that the limit is undefined by showing that the limit depends on how you approach zero.
You can show that [itex]f(x,y) \longrightarrow \frac{1}{2}[/itex] if you approach zero along the curve [itex](\sqrt{y},y)[/itex].
So you have showed that the limit is both 0 and 1/2, i.e. it must be undefined.

hm..thanks for the responce, but how did u figure out that u should approach zero along [itex](\sqrt{y},y)[/itex] to show its 1/2?

To prove that lim f(x,y) does not exist, it suffices to show that the limit along one curve into (a,b) differs from the limit along a second curve. If lim f(x,y) does exist, however, then computing limits along individual curves will prove nothing (although, such computations will likely help to build understanding). As it turns out, proving that a limit exists requires a significant amount of mathematical rigor.

I didn't know. I just sat down and tried some "ordinary" curves. If you try y = kx², (x, kx²), you can show that the limit depends on k.

1. Why is this limit undefined when both variables equal 0?

The limit of a function is the value that the function approaches as the input values get closer and closer to a certain point. In the case of a limit of two variables, the function is approaching a specific point in a two-dimensional space. If both variables approach 0, this means that the function is approaching the origin, or (0,0). However, this does not necessarily mean that the limit exists, as there could be different paths or directions in which the function approaches the origin, resulting in different limit values.

2. Can't we just substitute 0 for both variables to find the limit?

No, substituting 0 for both variables may give you an undefined result, but it does not necessarily determine the limit. The limit considers the behavior of the function as the variables approach the specific point, not just the value at that point. Substituting 0 for both variables only gives you the value at that point, not the behavior.

3. Is the limit undefined because the function is undefined at (0,0)?

Not necessarily. A function can be undefined at a certain point and still have a limit at that point. The limit considers the behavior of the function as the input values get closer and closer to the specific point, not just the value at that point. It is possible for the function to be undefined at the point but still have a well-defined limit.

4. What does it mean for a limit to be undefined?

For a limit to be undefined means that the function does not have a well-defined limit at that specific point. This could be due to various reasons such as the function approaching different values from different directions, or the function approaching infinity or negative infinity. It essentially means that the function does not have a consistent behavior as the input values get closer and closer to the specific point.

5. Can a function have different limits at the same point?

Yes, a function can have different limits at the same point. This is usually the case when the function approaches different values from different directions or paths. In this case, the limit is said to not exist, as it is not possible to determine a single value that the function is approaching at that specific point.