Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is this proof wrong

1. May 13, 2009 #1
    Another one of those 0 = 1 proofs.

If you dislike them, please navigate away to cats doing things with captions. Otherwise stay tuned.

Tell me what's wrong (obviously I know what's wrong but I just want to put it out there for people to mull over).

Note, you need to know basic calculus.

[tex]

\int \frac{1}{x} dx = \int \frac{1}{x} dx
    [/tex]

[tex]
    u = \frac{1}{x}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    dv = dx
    [/tex]

[tex]
    du = \frac{-1}{x^2} dx
    [/tex]

[tex]
    v = x
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \int \frac{1}{x} dx = u * v - \int v du
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \int \frac{1}{x} dx = \frac{1}{x} * x - \int x * \frac{-1}{x^2} dx
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \int \frac{1}{x} dx = 1 - \int \frac{-1}{x} dx
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \int \frac{1}{x} dx = 1 + \int \frac{1}{x} dx
    [/tex]

[tex]
    0 = 1
    [/tex]

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Right off the bat, [tex]u = \frac{{dv}}{x} = dx[/tex] makes no sense. The second line makes no sense either.... am i completely missing something?

4. May 13, 2009 #3
    Sorry those are supposed to be separate. I will edit that in.

This is what it should look like

[tex]
    u = \frac{1}{x}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    dv = dx
    [/tex]

I have also added an extra step just to show that I am going to be using integration by parts to do the "proof"

5. May 13, 2009 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

[tex]\int \frac{1}{x} dx = 1 - \int \frac{-1}{x} dx[/tex] isn't valid. Integration by part goes like:

[tex]\int\limits_a^b {udv} = [uv]_a^b - \int\limits_a^b {vdu} [/tex]

The term you think is 1 is actually 0.

6. May 14, 2009 #5
    We are dealing with antiderivatives. So, given F(x) and G(x) that are antiderivatives of 1/x, it is true that F(x) = G(x) + C, for some constant C. For example, the second to last line you have can be written as

ln(x) + C = 1 + ln(x) + D for some constants C, and D. We do not then conclude that 0 = 1.

The integral of 1/x dx is a FAMILY of functions that all differ by a constant.

7. May 14, 2009 #6

neu

I only got to the end of the second sentence

8. May 14, 2009 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Russell has the right answer. To be strictly correct, the rule for integration by parts is better written as

[tex]\int u dv = u*v - \int v du + C[/tex]

We drop the arbitrary constant because it is implied by the very use of indefinite integrals, or antiderivatives. The inverse of the derivative is not unique.

9. May 14, 2009 #8
    Russell and D_H are correct, the constant term is missing. Gj guys :)

10. May 16, 2009 #9

gel

and Pengwuino too. You either put in constants of integration, or use definite integrals. Either way resolves the error.

11. May 16, 2009 #10
    Right, but since I defined the problem in the start as indefinite integrals, I was looking for the answer that was related to indefinite integrals. Anyways. It's just a simple problem

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook