Solve the Mystery: Why is My Way Wrong?

• Thread starter suspenc3
  • Start date
In summary, two masses with a mass of 2Kg each are on an inclined ramp, one sliding up at a constant velocity and the other hanging from a rope over a frictionless pulley. The kinetic frictional force on the sliding mass is calculated to be 9.8N using force diagrams, with the x-direction equation being m_1a_1=0=m_2g - \mu_kN -mgsin(30°). However, the correct way to express this equation, according to the teacher, is T-f_k-mgsin \phi=0, leading to a final answer of 9.8N. The variables x, y, and T refer to the forces acting on the
suspenc3
I just recently got my midterm back and I felt this was graded wrong...

I don't have a picture..but just picture a ramp inclined to [tex] \phi=30[/tex] One mass is sitting on the incline...And the other is dangling from a rope which runs over a pulley

Two masses [tex]m_1[/tex] & [tex]m_2[/tex] both have a mass of 2Kg. If [tex]m_1[/tex] slide up the ramp at a constant velocity, what is the kinetic frictional force on [tex]m_1[/tex]? Assume that the masses of the rope and pulley are negligible, and that the pulley is frictionless.
How I did it...
[tex]m_1 x/ T-f_k = m_1a[/tex] (Eq1)
[tex] y/ N-mgsin \phi=0[/tex]
[tex]m_2 x/ T-mgsin \phi=m_2a[/tex]
[tex] y/ T=mgsin \phi[/tex] (Eq2)
-------------------------------------------------
isolate T in Eq1
[tex]T-f_k=m_1a[/tex] Since a=0
[tex]T=f_k[/tex]
Sub Eq2 into Eq1
[tex]mgsin \phi=f_k[/tex]
[tex]2Kg(9.8m/s)sin \phi=f_k[/tex]
[tex]f_k=9.8N[/tex]
Although i got the right answer he says that it needs to be expressed like this
[tex]T-f_k-mgsin \phi=0[/tex]
[tex]f_k=T-mgsin \phi[/tex] T=mg
[tex]f_k=mg-mgsin \phi = 9.8N[/tex]
Why is my way wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you explain what your variables x, y, and T mean?

You should analyze it through the use of force diagrams. The hanging mass is there only to tell you that the tension in the string, T is equal to mg. From there you free body diagram should focus entirely on the mass on the incline.

suspenc3 said:
[tex]m_1 x/ T-f_k = m_1a[/tex] (Eq1)
What is this x ? Is that x=gsin(30°) ?

Besides, in the x-direction (ie along the incline) you have 3 forces
1) T [tex]m_2g[/tex]
2) friction [tex] \mu_kN[/tex]
3) the x-component of gravity : gsin(30°)
I did not put in the right signs of these forces...
I only see two forces in your equation

What is x/T ?

The acceleration of object 1 is indeed 0

You should have [tex]m_1a_1=0=m_2g - \mu_kN -mgsin(30°)[/tex]

[tex] y/ N-mgsin \phi=0[/tex]
[tex]m_2 x/ T-mgsin \phi=m_2a[/tex]

What is m_2 x/T ?
[tex] y/ T=mgsin \phi[/tex] (Eq2)
This is incorrect.

In the y direction (perpendicular to the incline) you have
[tex]m_1a_1 = 0 =-mgcos(30°) + N[/tex]

Where N is the normal force.

But you only need the equation in the x direction to get your answer

marlon

Last edited:

1. Why is my hypothesis not supported by the data?

There could be a number of reasons why your hypothesis is not supported by the data. It is possible that your hypothesis was not well-formed or that there were flaws in your experimental design. It is also possible that there are other factors at play that you did not consider. It is important to carefully analyze the data and consider all possible explanations before drawing conclusions.

2. How can I determine which variables are most important in solving the mystery?

To determine which variables are most important in solving the mystery, you can conduct a statistical analysis, such as a regression or correlation analysis. This will help you identify which variables have the strongest relationships with the outcome. Additionally, you can also use your scientific knowledge and reasoning to prioritize which variables are most likely to have an impact on the outcome.

3. How can I ensure that my results are reliable?

To ensure that your results are reliable, it is important to follow the scientific method and use rigorous experimental design. This includes controlling for any potential confounding variables, using a large and representative sample, and conducting multiple trials. It is also important to have your work peer-reviewed and replicated by other scientists.

4. What should I do if my results are unexpected?

If your results are unexpected, it is important to carefully examine your methods and data analysis to ensure there are no errors. It is also important to consider alternative explanations and seek feedback from other scientists. Unexpected results can often lead to new discoveries and insights, so it is important to approach them with an open mind.

5. How can I apply the results of this mystery to real-world situations?

The results of your mystery-solving process can be applied to real-world situations by using the knowledge gained to inform decision-making and problem-solving. For example, if your mystery involved identifying the best way to reduce energy consumption, you can apply those findings to real-life energy conservation efforts. Additionally, your research may inspire further studies or interventions in related areas.