1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is volume generated 0?

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    Evaluate [tex]\int\int\int y dV[/tex] where the solid generated lies between the cylinders x2+y2=1 and x2+y2=4, above the xy-plane and below the plane z=x+2.

I wrote out the integral [tex]\int\int r*r sin \theta dz dr d\theta[/tex] and z is integrated from x+2 to 0, r integrated from 2 to 1 and [tex]\theta[/tex] from [tex]2\pi[/tex] to 0. But I ended up with [tex]\frac{-7}{3}(x+2)cos(2\pi - 0)[/tex] which gives me 0?? I tried visualizing the volume generated and its like a donut with the top cut away at an angle. So how is the volume 0? Did I do something wrong?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your integral doesn't represent volume, so it's possible that its value is 0. If the integrand were 1 instead of 1, then it would represent volume.

4. Mar 23, 2010 #3
    You mean the one I wrote or the equation given?

5. Mar 24, 2010 #4
    *bump*

6. Mar 24, 2010 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Please do not bump threads.

The integral of JUST dV would represent a volume. However, the integration of a function IN a volume no longer represents the volume.

For example,

[tex]\int\limits_0^L {dx} [/tex]

gives you the length of something from 0-> L, which is just a length of L. However,

[tex]\int\limits_0^L {x^2 dx} [/tex]

no longer gives a length.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook