Is Water Flammable Despite Containing Hydrogen and Oxygen?

• Thread starter noagname
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary: Does that answer your question?In summary, water is not flammable because hydrogen is very flammable and oxygen speeds up a fire.
noagname
why is water not flammable, because H20 is hydrogen and oxygen. I have learned that hydrogen is very flammable and oxygen speeds up a fire. so wouldn't that mean that it is very flammable

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It is already burnt, the hydrogen has burnt in the oxygen to make water.
The molecule H2O means that the hydrogen and oxygen have combined - it's very different from a mixture of oxygen and hydrogen.

mgb_phys is right

You can think of it in terms of energy: hydrogen and oxygen gases are at a higher potential energy level than water. THAT change in energy level is what is released (in the form of explosion/fire etc.) when going from (2)H2 + O2 -> (2)H20 (burning hydrogen in presence of oxygen to form water.

Since water is at a lower energy level there isn't any more energy that can be released by "burning" it.

Water is like the ash that is left in the fireplace (and soot lining the chimney) after wood is burned.

russ_watters said:
Water is like the ash that is left in the fireplace

Agreed.

and soot lining the chimney

Disagreed. Soot burns pretty well.

Borek said:
Disagreed. Soot burns pretty well.
Is soot unburned particles carried away? I guess I figured soot was like airborne ash.

I said that but edited it - I thought somebody would say that soot is unburnt fuel.

russ_watters said:
Is soot unburned particles carried away? I guess I figured soot was like airborne ash.

Soot is mostly product of wood distillation - ie when you heat up wood it gets degassed. These gases are in general highly flammable. Some of them have low molar mass (like CO and methanol), some are much heavier. Depending on the situation they will be either burn in the flame - or not. If they were not burnt, they form tar, which covers inside of the chimney. It dries there (and it doesn't mean just loosing water, but loosing many low molecular mass, volatile substances). What is left is soot.

If you burn coal situation is very similar, although there are not so many low molecular mass products, so there is much less soot produced, and it is much drier (less tar-like).

As I wrote before, soot is higly flammable. This is one of the reasons why you need to clean the chimneys. If soot starts to burn temperature in the chimney can go very high, much higher then during normal exploatation. That's dangerous. It is very difficult to put down burning soot, as you usually have no access to chimney, and just closing the air access at the chimney bottom is not enough; strange things can happen. I have seen several soot fires. The most spectacular one ended with chimney erupting with clouds of sparks and pieces of burning soot every 30 seconds for about 10 minutes. Evidently it was burning without air access, periodically sucking air through the chimney top.

noagname said:
why is water not flammable, because H20 is hydrogen and oxygen. I have learned that hydrogen is very flammable and oxygen speeds up a fire. so wouldn't that mean that it is very flammable

To put it simply: hydrogen is very flammable when it is in the form of hydrogen molecules, and oxygen speeds up a fire when it is in the form of oxygen molecules. But when the two are combined in the chemical compound water H20 then the molecules are neither of hydrogen, nor of oxygen, but of a different thing altogether (i.e. water), so they take on the properties of water rather than those of molecular hydrogen or molecular oxygen.

Elements combined as compounds always perform differently from the consituent elements. For example, calcium compounds are found in certain foods (e.g. milk) and are good for teeth. The element calcium is a metal - probably not ideal for eating !

so is this reaction endothermic or exothermic?

NaCl said:
The reaction creates fire which is hot, heat is given off... therefore exothermic.

NaCl said:

Which reaction?

ApeXaviour said:
The reaction creates fire which is hot, heat is given off... therefore exothermic.

so when the reaction takes place it creates a completely new product which is completely different to H or O there for not flammable

Borek said:
Which reaction?

the reaction when water is created with H and O

i would really like to know if H2O2 is flammable...

NaCl said:
i would really like to know if H2O2 is flammable...

H2O2 is not combustible .. i.e. it does not burn. However, it is rather reactive and is a strong oxidizer. If you take pure H2O2 from which all water has been removed and heat it above about 80°C, it decomposes spontaneously (and potentially explosively) into water and molecular oxygen. If you happen to have other combustible materials around, the combination of oxygen and high temperature could lead to combustion, but the H2O2 itself never burns.

Does that answer your question?

SpectraCat said:
H2O2 is not combustible .. i.e. it does not burn. However, it is rather reactive and is a strong oxidizer. If you take pure H2O2 from which all water has been removed and heat it above about 80°C, it decomposes spontaneously (and potentially explosively) into water and molecular oxygen. If you happen to have other combustible materials around, the combination of oxygen and high temperature could lead to combustion, but the H2O2 itself never burns.

Does that answer your question?

so it is not something you want to play with? otherwise yes thank you

NaCl said:
so it is not something you want to play with? otherwise yes thank you

Well, dilute aqueous solutions of hydrogen peroxide ... the stuff they sell in pharmacies for basic first aid (I think these are around 3%) .. is pretty safe. I remember having to gargle with it to help soothe the inflammation in my strep throat as a child, and pouring it on open wounds is a safe way to sterilize them. As you increase the concentration however, it gets more and more reactive. I have not worked with concentrated hydrogen peroxide, so I am not familiar with its properties. I would definitely not mess with it until I had read carefully about proper safety precautions, and its reactivity with the other components of my experiment.

Last edited:
NaCl said:
the reaction when water is created with H and O

Water synthesis is exothermic.

1. Why is water not flammable?

Water is not flammable because its molecular structure is stable. The chemical formula for water is H2O, which means it contains two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. These atoms are held together by strong covalent bonds that are difficult to break. As a result, water does not have the necessary components to undergo a combustion reaction.

2. Can water catch on fire?

No, water cannot catch on fire. As mentioned before, the molecular structure of water makes it incapable of undergoing a combustion reaction. This means it cannot produce heat or light, which are the two defining characteristics of fire.

3. Why do some liquids catch on fire, but not water?

Some liquids, such as gasoline or alcohol, have a different molecular structure than water. These molecules contain carbon-hydrogen bonds, which are easier to break and can release energy in the form of heat and light. This allows them to undergo a combustion reaction and catch on fire.

4. Is there any way to make water flammable?

Currently, there is no known way to make water flammable. Scientists have attempted to break the strong covalent bonds in water molecules through various methods, but have been unsuccessful. Additionally, even if water could be made flammable, the energy required to do so would likely be greater than the energy released in a combustion reaction, making it impractical.

5. Why is water used to put out fires?

Water is an excellent fire extinguisher because it is able to absorb and dissipate heat quickly. When water is sprayed onto a fire, it cools down the surrounding area and removes the fuel source by evaporating. This prevents the fire from spreading and eventually extinguishes it.