1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why isn't cos(22.5°) = 2/√5?

Tags:
  1. Dec 21, 2014 #1
    I've never really learned any trigonometry and I'm wondering if someone could tell me where I'm going wrong here.

My reasoning is this:

The hypotenuse of a 1,1,√2 right triangle is at a 45° angle to its base.

Halving that angle should require that the base leg be doubled if the height leg is kept at 1, giving the new triangle lengths of 1,2,√5

The cosine is adjacent/hypotenuse which would be 2/√5, yet calculators give a different answer. Why is this?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your mistake is in thinking that a 1, 2, sqrt(5) triangle has one angle 22.5 degrees.

4. Dec 21, 2014 #3
    So this assumption isn't correct?

Edit: I see now that it's not but I don't understand why... Seems like it should be

2nd edit: my problem was that I was equating angle with slope. I like math... Too bad I'm so bad at it! :/

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  5. Dec 22, 2014 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

The relation between angle and slope is

$$\mathrm{slope}=\dfrac{\mathrm{rise}}{\mathrm{run}}=\dfrac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}=\dfrac{\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}=\tan(\theta)$$

6. Dec 23, 2014 #5
    Draw a right angle triangle using protractor,scale,pen or pencil which I just did.By drawing the dimensions of right angle triangle of sides 1,2,## \sqrt 5 ## you will see that the angle made by hypotenuse and base is approximately 26.5° not your 22.5°.So, cos 26.5°= 2/##\sqrt 5## So the calculators were right and you may have made a minute mistake.

7. Dec 23, 2014 #6
  8. Dec 23, 2014 #7

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook