Why isn't p^4 Hermitian for hydrogen-like l=0 wavefunctions?

In summary, the conversation is about a book called Griffiths and perturbation theory. The person is trying to understand why the fourth power of the momentum operator is not Hermitian, despite the momentum operator itself being Hermitian. They believe that their proof should work for any wavefunction, but someone points out that the proof involves dropping boundary terms. The person realizes that they were missing something and thanks the other person for their explanation.
scorpion990
Sorry if this question has been asked a million times.

Either way, I'm working my way through Griffiths. It's a fantastic book--he doesn't try to slip anything past the reader. He is completely honest, and he doesn't abuse mathematics the way most authors do (screwing around with the Dirac delta function to force a normalization constant on the free particle wavefunctions when it's really just there for convenience, etc)

On that note, I'm working on the perturbation theory chapter. He attempts to correct the hydrogen-like wavefunction energies by applying a relativistic perturbation term. He writes down the relativistic energies, expands it in a power series in the momentum operator, and then applies the usual canonical substitution. The footnote of the page says that [itex]{\hat{p}}^4[/itex] is actually NOT a Hermitian operator when l = 0 (and the hermicity of the perturbation term was assumed in the derivation of the theory), so he says that pertubration theory isn't actually valid in this case. My question is... why isn't [itex]{\hat{p}}^4[/itex] Hermitian??

If I understand correctly, the momentum operator is Hermitian, and therefore,
[itex]<ψ|\hat{p} ψ>=<\hat{p}ψ| ψ>[/itex]

If this is true, then why isn't this?
[itex]<ψ|{\hat{p}}^4 ψ> =< ψ|{\hat{p}}^2 {\hat{p}}^2 ψ>= < {\hat{p}}^2 ψ|{\hat{p}}^2 ψ>=< {\hat{p}}^4 ψ| ψ>[/itex]

After all, of course [itex]{\hat{p}}^2[/itex] is Hermitian. At the end of the chapter, there is an exercise that attempts to answer my question. From skimming it, it appears that this is so because a boundary term doesn't vanish. Still, the proof that I wrote above should work for any wavefunction, and I'm not seeing where it fails. I'm really missing something here!

Physics news on Phys.org
scorpion990 said:
Still, the proof that I wrote above should work for any wavefunction
No, it doesn't, your proof involves dropping the boundary terms. Just think about how to prove p is Hermitian in the first place, and why we need wavefunction to vanish at infinity for p to be Hermitian.

I see. Thanks!

I am not sure what p is. I suppose you mean the radial momentum operator, which is not self-adjoint on the half line 0 to infinity.

Why isn't p^4 Hermitian for hydrogen-like l=0 wavefunctions?

1. What is a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator is an operator that satisfies the condition that its adjoint (conjugate transpose) is equal to itself. In other words, it is equal to its own complex conjugate.

2. Why is it important for an operator to be Hermitian?

Hermitian operators have the property that their eigenvalues (possible outcomes of a measurement) are always real. This is important because it ensures that the results of a measurement are physically meaningful.

3. How does the p^4 operator relate to the hydrogen atom?

The p^4 operator is a momentum operator, which describes the momentum of a particle. In the case of the hydrogen atom, the p^4 operator is used to describe the motion of the electron around the nucleus.

4. What is the significance of the l=0 wavefunction in this scenario?

The l=0 wavefunction corresponds to the s orbital in the hydrogen atom, which describes the probability of finding the electron at a particular distance from the nucleus. It is significant because it is the simplest and most fundamental wavefunction for the hydrogen atom.

5. Why is the p^4 operator not Hermitian for l=0 wavefunctions in the hydrogen atom?

The p^4 operator is not Hermitian for l=0 wavefunctions because it does not satisfy the necessary condition of having a real-valued expectation value. This is due to the non-commutativity of the p^4 operator with the Hamiltonian operator for the hydrogen atom.