Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why isn't the search function working?

1. Mar 12, 2005 #1

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

thread title explains all.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2005 #2
    Unless you are making more than one search within 30 seconds or you're not logged on, everything else seems fine. Try again, because there could have been a server overload.

4. Mar 12, 2005 #3

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hmm, it seems to be the specific phrrase that I'm looking for "time dilation" (I'm searching for one of my old posts) that it doesn't like

5. Mar 12, 2005 #4
    Very weird indeed :biggrin:

6. Mar 12, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sometimes old posts are easier to find using a google search. Just toss in your username and/or physicsforums as one of the search terms.

7. Mar 12, 2005 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The search function doesn't go back very far. Moonbear's suggestion is a good one.

8. Mar 12, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

PLEASE,DON'T DO IT!!!WE'LL HAVE SPIDERS ALL OVER THESE FORUMS AGAIN!!!:cry:

Daniel.

9. Mar 12, 2005 #8

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow...I guess he was pretty traumatized from the last time. I say do it...then I'll be able to see what these spiders you guys were talking about were all about.

:biggrin:

10. Mar 13, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was traumatized by those spiders too, especially the slurping ones! :yuck: *shiver*

11. Mar 13, 2005 #10
    I liked those cute little bots :rofl:

12. Mar 13, 2005 #11

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It just doesn't work though for the phrase 'time dilation', eventhough there are recent entries conatining the pharse (it works fine when I just serach for 'dilation').

13. Mar 13, 2005 #12

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I hope someone explains what's going on. Inquiring minds want to know. :biggrin: It's "time" that's causing the problem.

14. Mar 13, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, I just tried it. That is VERY weird. It just doesn't seem to like that phrase and refuses to do the search (I get an error that my browser can't load data from that source...the standard error that a page isn't loading). I can search using 'time, dilation' (note the comma) and I can search with other two word phrases without a comma (I tried 'cell biology'), but it refuses to search for 'time dilation.'

When you first posted the question, I thought you meant you were getting 'no results' as the result of your search, or it wasn't find the thread you were looking for, but now I see it just outright refuses to do the search. Weird.

15. Mar 14, 2005 #14

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Use the firefox PF search function that Greg created.

Edit: Okay, oddly enough that won't search "time dilation" either, but it will search "dilation." What the heck is going on here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?