Why isn't R a domain for \frac{1}{2}(a+b\sqrt{2})?

• Thread starter Artusartos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary, this equation cannot be 0 since there would be a contradiction in terms of the values of a and b.
Artusartos

Homework Statement

If we have [tex]R = \{ \frac{1}{2}(a+b\sqrt{2}) \}[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the identity, we have a=2 and b=0. So the identity is not equal to zero. Also, there can't be any zero divisors, because...
[tex][\frac{1}{2}(a+b\sqrt{2})][\frac{1}{2}(a'+b'\sqrt{2})] [/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{4}(aa' + ab'\sqrt{2} + a'b\sqrt{2} + 2bb')[/tex]. If a,a',b, b' are not zero, then this can't be zero.

So why isn't it a domain?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't explained this very well! I take it that you do NOT mean "[itex]R= (1/2)(a+ b\sqrt{2})[itex]", a single number, but rather "[itex]R= \{(1/2)(a+ b\sqrt{2})\}[itex]", the set of all such numbers with a and b integers. Yes, if a= 2 and b= 0, we have [itex](1/2)(2+ 0\sqrt{2})= 1[/itex] as multiplicative identity which is not 0, the additive indentity, so this is a ring with more than one member.

Yes, in order that [itex][(1/2)(a+ b\sqrt{2}][(1/2)(a'+ b'\sqrt{2})]= (1/4)(aa'+ ab'\sqrt{2}+ a'b\sqrt{2}+ 2bb')[/itex] be 0, we must have aa'+ 2bb'= 0 and ab'+ a'b= 0. The second gives ab'= -a'b or a/b= -a'/b'. The first gives a/b= -2b'/a'. that is, -a'/b'= -2b'/a' or [itex]a'^2= 2b'^2[/itex] which is impossible. Now, what makes you believe this is not an integral domain?

HallsofIvy said:
You haven't explained this very well! I take it that you do NOT mean "[itex]R= (1/2)(a+ b\sqrt{2})[itex]", a single number, but rather "[itex]R= \{(1/2)(a+ b\sqrt{2})\}[itex]", the set of all such numbers with a and b integers. Yes, if a= 2 and b= 0, we have [itex](1/2)(2+ 0\sqrt{2})= 1[/itex] as multiplicative identity which is not 0, the additive indentity, so this is a ring with more than one member.

Yes, in order that [itex][(1/2)(a+ b\sqrt{2}][(1/2)(a'+ b'\sqrt{2})]= (1/4)(aa'+ ab'\sqrt{2}+ a'b\sqrt{2}+ 2bb')[/itex] be 0, we must have aa'+ 2bb'= 0 and ab'+ a'b= 0. The second gives ab'= -a'b or a/b= -a'/b'. The first gives a/b= -2b'/a'. that is, -a'/b'= -2b'/a' or [itex]a'^2= 2b'^2[/itex] which is impossible.

Now, what makes you believe this is not an integral domain?

Thanks. I actually did write R={...}, but the brackets automatically got deleted. This is a question in my textbook. It tells us to prove that this set is not a domain, and I'm confused about that...

Artusartos said:
I actually did write R={...}, but the brackets automatically got deleted.

You may want to learn about the difference between {} and \{\} in LaTeX :wink:

1. Why is this not a domain?

A domain is a specific and unique name used to identify a website on the internet. In order for something to be considered a domain, it must follow certain rules and be registered with a domain registrar. If your name or idea does not meet these criteria, it cannot be considered a domain.

2. What makes something a domain?

A domain must follow specific naming rules, such as only containing letters, numbers, and hyphens, and not starting or ending with a hyphen. Additionally, a domain must be registered with a domain registrar and have a unique IP address associated with it.

3. Can I make anything a domain?

No, not everything can be considered a domain. As mentioned before, a domain must follow certain rules and be registered with a domain registrar. Additionally, it must not already be in use by another website or business.

4. How do I register a domain?

To register a domain, you must first choose a domain registrar and search for the availability of the name you want. If it is available, you can then purchase and register it for a set period of time, usually in yearly increments.

5. What happens if my desired domain is already taken?

If your desired domain is already taken, you may need to come up with a different name or try a different domain extension. Some domain registrars also offer the option to purchase the domain from the current owner, but this can be more expensive.