Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why its happened - spring things

1. Oct 4, 2005 #1
    Sometimes after few moments of perpendicularly vibrate the mass hang on a spring, starts vibrate horizontal. I must know why it happened ? any books or answers are see pleasant .

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2005 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One simple explanation is that the horizontal swings are initially small compared to the vertical, so you don't notice it at first. However the vertical is damped much faster because it involves the stretching of the spring while the horizontal swing is a pendulum effect damped only by air friction.

4. Oct 5, 2005 #3
    ok it is pendulum effect but how it's happend' for exampel i dont have air friction so the energy is constans, after damped the vertical swings, the horizontal motion will grow big?
    and my second question is how the horizontal motion depend on the mass and the stretch of spring ?

5. Oct 5, 2005 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The energy of the vertical motion gets lost as heat in the spring (otherwise it wouldn't damp). The horizontal motion won't increase.

As for the second question, the period of the swing depends on the length of the spring. Since the length will be variable until it stops springing, the horizontal motion appears to be fairly complicated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?