Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why keep cut flower stems wet

1. Sep 2, 2015 #1
    If you buy cut flowers, why might the florist recommend cutting the stems underwater and then transferring the flowers to a vase while the cut ends are still wet?

I think cut flowers are flowers cut from a plant.
    If the stems are cut underwater stems would go. So why wetting if they are cut finally?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2015 #2
    If the ends of the cut flower dry then the ability for them to draw water is greatly reduced.

4. Sep 2, 2015 #3
    Why the ability is reduced if they are dry and not in the case of wetness?

5. Sep 2, 2015 #4
    Should the vase have water?

6. Sep 2, 2015 #5
    The plant cells die if they dry out.

The vase should contain water, yes. Some shops include a little packet of fertilizer to help keep the flowers fresh.

7. Sep 2, 2015 #6
    Why can't we dip the stem in water. Why we should make a cut underwater?

8. Sep 2, 2015 #7
    You reduce the exposure to air which dries out the stem. I trim flowers out of water though. Maybe it gives the flower a bit more time, but I doubt much.

9. Sep 2, 2015 #8
    But the vase is already having water.
    If we keep directly the cut flower in it without cutting it underwater then what difference it makes?
    When we will put flower in it. It would automatically become wet.

10. Sep 2, 2015 #9
    Sorry I don't know what this means

11. Sep 2, 2015 #10
    I mean that we should not trim flower underwater first and then put in vase,
    But
    Directly put the flower in vase?

12. Sep 2, 2015 #11
    You'll want to trim the flowers after you buy them to help the water reach the healthy stem

13. Sep 2, 2015 #12
    OK.Thanks Greg you have been always helpful to me.

14. Sep 3, 2015 #13

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Cutting the stems in air can create an embolism (a packet of air) in the stem that reduces absorption and water transport. When you cut it out of water, then put it in water, you stand a good chance of forcing air into the stem. That makes it hard for the plant to draw up water, and wherever the air bubbles are, no transport can occur in the plant.

15. Sep 3, 2015 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Pyth is correct, cutting stems under water is to prevent air from entering the stem.

16. Sep 4, 2015 #15
    The plant cells of the flower are still living and respiring.
    Lack of water in the vase will surely hasten their demise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook