Cut Flower Care: Why Keep Stems Wet?

• Thread starter Raghav Gupta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cut
In summary: The plant cells of the flower are still living and respiring.Lack of water in the vase will surely hasten their demise.
Raghav Gupta
If you buy cut flowers, why might the florist recommend cutting the stems underwater and then transferring the flowers to a vase while the cut ends are still wet?

I think cut flowers are flowers cut from a plant.
If the stems are cut underwater stems would go. So why wetting if they are cut finally?

Biology news on Phys.org
If the ends of the cut flower dry then the ability for them to draw water is greatly reduced.

Greg Bernhardt said:
If the ends of the cut flower dry then the ability for them to draw water is greatly reduced.
Why the ability is reduced if they are dry and not in the case of wetness?

Should the vase have water?

Raghav Gupta said:
Why the ability is reduced if they are dry and not in the case of wetness?

The plant cells die if they dry out.

Raghav Gupta said:

The vase should contain water, yes. Some shops include a little packet of fertilizer to help keep the flowers fresh.

Why can't we dip the stem in water. Why we should make a cut underwater?

Raghav Gupta said:
Why can't we dip the stem in water. Why we should make a cut underwater?
You reduce the exposure to air which dries out the stem. I trim flowers out of water though. Maybe it gives the flower a bit more time, but I doubt much.

But the vase is already having water.
If we keep directly the cut flower in it without cutting it underwater then what difference it makes?
When we will put flower in it. It would automatically become wet.

Raghav Gupta said:
But the vase is already having water.
If we keep directly the cut flower in it without cutting it underwater then what difference it makes?
When we will put flower in it. It would automatically become wet.
Sorry I don't know what this means

I mean that we should not trim flower underwater first and then put in vase,
But
Directly put the flower in vase?

Raghav Gupta said:
Directly put the flower in vase?
You'll want to trim the flowers after you buy them to help the water reach the healthy stem

OK.Thanks Greg you have been always helpful to me.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You reduce the exposure to air which dries out the stem. I trim flowers out of water though. Maybe it gives the flower a bit more time, but I doubt much.

Cutting the stems in air can create an embolism (a packet of air) in the stem that reduces absorption and water transport. When you cut it out of water, then put it in water, you stand a good chance of forcing air into the stem. That makes it hard for the plant to draw up water, and wherever the air bubbles are, no transport can occur in the plant.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Pythagorean said:
Cutting the stems in air can create an embolism (a packet of air) in the stem that reduces absorption and water transport. When you cut it out of water, then put it in water, you stand a good chance of forcing air into the stem. That makes it hard for the plant to draw up water, and wherever the air bubbles are, no transport can occur in the plant.
Pyth is correct, cutting stems under water is to prevent air from entering the stem.

Raghav Gupta said:

The plant cells of the flower are still living and respiring.
Lack of water in the vase will surely hasten their demise.

1. Why is it important to keep cut flower stems wet?

Flowers continue to draw water up through their stems even after they have been cut. Keeping the stems wet ensures that the flowers receive enough water to stay hydrated and maintain their freshness and beauty.

2. How does keeping cut flower stems wet help them last longer?

When cut flower stems are placed in water, they are able to continue absorbing water and essential nutrients. This helps to prevent wilting and extends the lifespan of the flowers.

3. Can I just mist the flowers instead of keeping the stems in water?

No, misting alone is not enough to keep cut flowers hydrated. The stems need to be submerged in water to fully absorb it and prevent dehydration.

4. How often should I change the water in a vase of cut flowers?

It is recommended to change the water in a vase of cut flowers every 2-3 days. This helps to prevent bacterial growth and keeps the water clean for the flowers to continue absorbing nutrients.

5. What else can I add to the water to help keep cut flower stems wet?

There are several additives that can be added to the water to help keep cut flower stems wet and extend their lifespan. Some common options include flower food, lemon juice, sugar, or aspirin. These additives provide essential nutrients and help to prevent bacterial growth in the water.