Einstein's Discovery of Light and C: Exploring the Unknown Variable

• Thread starter halpmaine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, Einstein was motivated by the implications of Maxwell's equations and the logical contradiction with the Galilean Principle of Relativity, and the speed of light was an integral part of his theory from the beginning.
halpmaine
Hello All.

Please forgive me if the answer to the following is found in PF but I didn't find it doing a search...

My question is this: what prompted Einstein to even consider light or better C as integral to E or, well, 'everything'? Was it mathematical such that he had the E and m but not the unknown variable (i.e. x = ?); was C the result of solving for x, if you will?

Thanks!

-Halp

Physics news on Phys.org
Einstein was motivated by electromagnetism (Maxwell's Equations).

My understanding is that the mass-energy equivalence was an implication that fell out of the math. But the motivation for the theory started with implications of a constant speed of light from Maxwell's equations and it's logical contradiction with the Galilean Principle of Relativity.

halpmaine said:
Hello All.

Please forgive me if the answer to the following is found in PF but I didn't find it doing a search...

My question is this: what prompted Einstein to even consider light or better C as integral to E or, well, 'everything'? Was it mathematical such that he had the E and m but not the unknown variable (i.e. x = ?); was C the result of solving for x, if you will?

Thanks!

-Halp
It all followed from the postulates of relativity. The Lorentz transformation can be derived from the postulates (and then we can get the velocity addition formula), and you can derive the relativistic expression for momentum from this. Once you have this expression, getting an expression for kinetic energy becomes a simple calculus exercise:
$$K.E.=\int F ds = \int v d(\gamma m_0 v)$$
Just use integration by parts and substitute the appropriate limits and you get ##K.E.=(\gamma -1) m_0 c^2##. Some rearrangement shows that even if the kinetic energy of the object was decreased to 0, it would still possesses some rest energy ##E=m_0 c^2##, and this is what is required. ALL of relativity follows from the two postulates.

PWiz said:
It all followed from the postulates of relativity. The Lorentz transformation can be derived from the postulates

But historically that is not what happened. Several physicists were trying to find an invariant transformation for Maxwell's equations. And what they found was the Lorentz transformation. The postulates of relativity were added by Einstein a posteriori.

Here is a blog post on how Einstein derived ##E = mc^2##:

https://terrytao.wordpress.com/2007/12/28/einsteins-derivation-of-emc2/

Not sure if that really accurate, but at least it sounds plausible.

Smattering said:
But historically that is not what happened.
I know, but the historical way is not always the most convenient/logical way to understand things. Also note that I originally said "can be derived" instead of "was derived".

halpmaine said:
My question is this: what prompted Einstein to even consider light or better C as integral to E or, well, 'everything'?

The speed of light was an integral part of the formulation of his theory from the very beginning. It's the speed of propagation of electric and magnetic fields. It was his consideration of the relationship between electric and magnetic fields that led him to formulate his theory. The relationship between energy and mass was a part of that theory that followed from those considerations.

1. How did Einstein discover the relationship between light and the speed of light (c)?

Einstein's discovery of the relationship between light and the speed of light (c) was based on his theory of special relativity. He realized that the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference, regardless of the observer's relative motion. This led him to the famous equation E=mc^2, where c represents the speed of light.

2. What is the significance of Einstein's discovery of light and c?

Einstein's discovery of light and c revolutionized our understanding of the universe. It laid the foundation for modern physics and led to groundbreaking advancements in technology, such as nuclear energy and GPS systems. It also challenged traditional notions of space and time, paving the way for further scientific discoveries.

3. How did Einstein's discovery of light and c impact our understanding of the universe?

Einstein's discovery of light and c fundamentally changed our understanding of the universe. It showed that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This led to the development of the theory of general relativity, which explains the force of gravity and the structure of the universe on a large scale.

4. What challenges did Einstein face while exploring the unknown variable of light and c?

Einstein faced significant challenges while exploring the unknown variable of light and c. He had to overcome resistance from the scientific community and work through complex mathematical equations to develop his theories. He also had to reconcile his ideas with existing scientific principles, which required a great deal of creativity and critical thinking.

5. How has Einstein's discovery of light and c influenced modern science?

Einstein's discovery of light and c continues to have a profound impact on modern science. It has opened up new avenues of research and inspired further breakthroughs in physics and technology. It has also shaped our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe and continues to be a cornerstone of modern scientific thought.