Why live forever?

• Thread starter saltydog
  • Start date
If all lived forever, then no one would give birth to babies, cause they are so dumb in the beginning. And life would be an ongoing competition. thats not so funny. In other words you would have all time in the world, or all time there is, right? But you would feel like you didn't have any. Even if you did have some time to do it wouldn't be much, would it. Tastes, things you here, things you see, feel would become boring and you are garantied to die in some creepy accident or cancer, you wouldn't die in your sleep. And if you really enjoyed living this eon of time, you would sooner or later go to hell anyway.

Living forever would be a great thing, that is eternal persistence. But in nature the persistence is achieved with reproduction, so there's no need to live forever. If you have your descendants that carry your own genes, and they are able to reproduce, then the cycle is repeated.

Yes, but for intelligent creatures experience is awesome, why it's better if the individual lives forever, That is if the intelligent creatures had unlimited brain capacity, but they don't and that's why it's better the way it is.

Living forever is essentially a quality of life issue. People question it for the same reasons a quadrapalegic may question his own existence. Life is desirable when it's on your own terms. When there are limitations and conditions it becomes a pros and cons game. Most people would definitely welcome immortality if they could maintain thier current physiology forever. The concern is the deterioration of the body while the mind persists.

To the point that was made about dying of unnatural causes, and the probability-There's a probability of dying from things like disease and car accidents only as things exist today. If you were immortal time will change things like this. Perhaps all diseases will be cured, accidents all but eliminated-IF you can live long enough to realize that future. The curve of death probability steeply declines as advances eliminate the "accidents and diseases" of today. Of course we don't KNOW this for a fact, but the probability that these things will be fixed at some point in time is high. Automobiles will become computerized and eliminate human error. Cures will be discovered. This is a likely scenario in the coming millenia. I also think we will solve our population growth problems through expansion- wether it be colonization of the moon/mars or expansion to other worlds completely. I wouldn't even guess at a timeline, but it seems like it's inevitable.

So I'd choose to live. Life is a choice at any age. If you're bored at 30, you'd be bored at 300. Same if you're not happy. If we don't have purpose in life, it doesn't matter how old we are. It just sucks.

Last edited:
Physical immortality

saltydog said:
A scientist, Ray Kurzweil, predicts that immortality could be possible in 20 years, in his new book, "Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever." (didn't read it, should I first before I post?).

Anyway, he proposes the following question to philosophers: Why are eternal lives worth living?

I suppose my first though is "why is any life worth living?". I'm not a nihilist. But would I want to live like "highlander" in that movie? Well, in reality it wouldn't be like highlander. More age, in my view would just bring up "new" health problems we've never seen before: Alzheimer's disease was unknown until we started living long enough for it to be expressed in the population. Same dif with living 125, 150, 200 years: something new would express itself, something like "inflammation of the nanobots" or whatever. Suppose for the sake of argument, we ignore these things. Why live forever?
I have a saying that goes like this. 'One has as much concern of a immortal soul than a mortal one'

It sounds like you have been reading some of Frank Tipler's ideas "Immortal robots/artificial intelligence"
The problem with PHYSICAL immortality boils down to pure science. If anyone could ever develope the technology to enhance life to sustain itself forever comes into many problems since everything in the universe, whether it is living ot not, appears to have some time limits to its existence. For an example, the sun will eventually burn out and die so an eternal life form would have to go elsewhere for life sustaining energy. Then one has the problem of the heat death of the universe where all the stars burn out. What then? One must come up with a way of extracting energy from dark matter which may not be such a big deal IF there is an inifinite (does infinity really exist?) amount of matter in the universe that can be converted to energy. If the amount of energy in the universe is finite then eventually this will run out. What if the universe collapses one day? Could a physical body survive gravitational collapse? It seems that immortality itself is mortal unless there is some type of nonphysical existence which very well may be but I cannot say for sure.