Why mannitol solution 0.05% has opalescence?how to delete it?

• Thread starter tzhisun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delete
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of opalescence in a solution containing mannitol and water. It is suggested to check the solubility of mannitol and impurities may be causing the opalescence. Various methods such as filtration, gentle heating, and purification can be used to remove the impurities. The supplier should also be consulted for information on purity.
tzhisun
when i add mannitol into water, the solution has opalescence. Does the solution forms colloid? Then how should I do to delete it? Thank you very much...:smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Look in a reference source for the solubility of mannitol in distilled water. If it is greater than 0.05% an impurity may be causing the opalescence. If so try filtration to remove it, or gentle heating to precipitate it. Purification by crystallization or chromatography may be in order. What does the supplier say about the purity?

phildukephd said:
Look in a reference source for the solubility of mannitol in distilled water. If it is greater than 0.05% an impurity may be causing the opalescence. If so try filtration to remove it, or gentle heating to precipitate it. Purification by crystallization or chromatography may be in order. What does the supplier say about the purity?

thanks so much! I think the purity has no problem. it's from Roquette. what puzzles me is that why does the phenomenon should happen while the concentration is much lower than its solubility. And the method you provide helps me a lot. :smile:

Opalescence usually is due to particles large enough to reflect light, possibly a colloidal solution. If so remove the colloid by filtration, centrifugation, precipitation, etc., make sure your distilled water is pure. Since mannitol is very water soluble, the opalescence is likely due to an impurity, or conceivably a stabilizing agent keeping some mannitol in the colloidal state. The supplier should give info on purity. If necessary purify by recrystallization, chromatography, etc. Good luck.

Mannitol is a sugar alcohol that is commonly used in scientific experiments and medical treatments. When dissolved in water, mannitol can exhibit opalescence, which is the cloudy or milky appearance of a solution. This opalescence is due to the formation of small particles or droplets in the solution, which can scatter light and give it a cloudy appearance.

The opalescence in a 0.05% mannitol solution is likely caused by the formation of a colloidal suspension. A colloid is a mixture in which one substance is dispersed throughout another substance in small particles, creating a cloudy or milky appearance. In this case, the mannitol particles are dispersed in the water, creating the opalescence.

To remove the opalescence from the solution, there are a few options you can try. One method is to filter the solution through a filter paper to remove the particles. Another option is to centrifuge the solution, which will separate the particles from the liquid and create a clear solution. You can also try increasing the temperature of the solution, as this can sometimes help the particles to dissolve.

It is important to note that the opalescence in a 0.05% mannitol solution does not affect the effectiveness of the solution in experiments or medical treatments. However, if you require a clear solution for your experiment, it is important to remove the opalescence before proceeding. I hope this information helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. Why does mannitol solution 0.05% have opalescence?

Mannitol solution 0.05% can have opalescence due to the presence of tiny particles or impurities that can scatter light. This scattering of light causes the solution to appear cloudy or milky, giving it an opalescent appearance.

2. Is opalescence in mannitol solution 0.05% harmful?

No, opalescence in mannitol solution 0.05% is not harmful. It is simply a visual effect caused by the scattering of light and does not affect the safety or effectiveness of the solution.

3. Can opalescence be removed from mannitol solution 0.05%?

Yes, opalescence can be removed from mannitol solution 0.05% by using a filtration or centrifugation process. These methods can help remove the tiny particles or impurities that are causing the opalescence, resulting in a clear solution.

4. What factors can contribute to opalescence in mannitol solution 0.05%?

Opalescence in mannitol solution 0.05% can be caused by a variety of factors such as the quality and purity of the ingredients used, the method of preparation, and the storage conditions. Contamination from equipment or improper handling can also contribute to opalescence.

5. How can opalescence in mannitol solution 0.05% be prevented?

To prevent opalescence in mannitol solution 0.05%, it is important to use high-quality ingredients, follow proper preparation and storage methods, and maintain clean and sterile equipment. Regular testing and monitoring can also help identify and address any potential causes of opalescence.