Why men are happier than women

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary: Female: The act of pleasing one's partner with sexual activity.Male: The act of pleasing oneself with sexual activity.In summary, men are just happier people, but then what do you expect from such simple creatures?
Huckleberry said:
I've never been satisfied with the concept that evolution encapsulates my individuality.
No progeny for you!
Physically attractive women are more likely to attract a man...
... And if I can't find an emotional connection with an attractive woman she becomes much less desirable to me.
You're talking about relationships. All the genes need to be passed on is...obvious.
I see a huge difference between the phrases "Does my butt look fat in these pants?" and "Do you still find me attractive?"
There would be if you asked the quetion, but women have different thought processes. This is further explained in Mars/Venus.
The way women are viewed in society her attractiveness affects the way people perceive her, even other women. When she asks her male companion "Do I look fat in these pants?" she may very well be asking how she appears to the rest of the world. She is asking someone she loves and trusts what other people think of her.
Yup. Feeling skittish about going out into public. Needs
reassurance. You are absolutely right about there being no right answer in this case, because it is impossible for you to give any guarrantees about how anyone else will view her. That being the case, you feel it's unfair of her to ask, as if you could possibly know what everyone else will think.

Physics news on Phys.org
This fat butt thing is winding me up a bit. There's absolutely no way in hell I'd ever ask anyone that, it would make me feel weak and ashamed. I feel that it's wrong for people to judge others by their appearence and hence that it's also wrong to expect other people to judge you by your appearence. And if you actually have a fat butt, then that's your butt and you should learn to live with it. I hate the way it's expected of women to make themselves look prettier than they really are, with make-up and fake tans and hair bleach and butt-diminishing trousers and all the rest.

icvotria said:
This fat butt thing is winding me up a bit. There's absolutely no way in hell I'd ever ask anyone that, it would make me feel weak and ashamed. I feel that it's wrong for people to judge others by their appearence and hence that it's also wrong to expect other people to judge you by your appearence. And if you actually have a fat butt, then that's your butt and you should learn to live with it. I hate the way it's expected of women to make themselves look prettier than they really are, with make-up and fake tans and hair bleach and butt-diminishing trousers and all the rest.
Yay icvotria. I've always been cylinder shaped - no butt, no hips, no waist. My waist measurement is almost the same size as my hip measurement (never had hips or a butt), so I have never had that "hourglass" shape. :frown: My first husband once asked me how I kept my pants from falling off. :cry:

zoobyshoe said:
Huckleberry said:
I've never been satisfied with the concept that evolution encapsulates my individuality.
No progeny for you!
This certainly seems to be the trend I'm setting for myself lately, but I think it's more of a matter of getting my life straightened out and finding the right woman. I'm interested in how you draw this conclusion.
zoobyshoe said:
Huckleberry said:
Physically attractive women are more likely to attract a man...
... And if I can't find an emotional connection with an attractive woman she becomes much less desirable to me.
You're talking about relationships. All the genes need to be passed on is...obvious.
Obviously all that is required to reproduce is sex between a man and woman. I think a relationship is a pretty important part of having a child. There are attractive women that I wouldn't even look twice at because I just don't like them. The thought of having a child with the Trim Spa woman is repulsive to me.
zoobyshoe said:
Huckleberry said:
I see a huge difference between the phrases "Does my butt look fat in these pants?" and "Do you still find me attractive?"
There would be if you asked the quetion, but women have different thought processes. This is further explained in Mars/Venus.
What are the thought processes of a woman on this matter? There's got to be some around here that would help answer this quetion.

edit- Is there a change in the roles of the sexes currently underway? Hmm, maybe a topic for a new thread?

Last edited:
Evo said:
Yay icvotria. I've always been cylinder shaped - no butt, no hips, no waist. My waist measurement is almost the same size as my hip measurement (never had hips or a butt), so I have never had that "hourglass" shape. :frown: My first husband once asked me how I kept my pants from falling off. :cry:

Does that mean you can fit those pants they sell in most stores? I keep wondering who fits them since they seem to have the waist and hips cut about the same size, when most women have thinner waists than hips. I expect to have less of a difference between waist and hip sizes in the junior or misses depts, but in women's clothing, surely someone could figure out that the waist should be tapered. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I agree with you and icvotria, I'd never ask anyone if my butt looked fat in anything! The only time I put a guy on the spot about clothing was when he was the only one around to ask and I realized the blouse I had brought along to wear out was more sheer than I expected and I didn't have a camisole, so I asked if it was really obvious you could see my bra through the blouse (I honestly couldn't tell if it was visible or not). He answered something like, "no worse than anyone else walking around NY." :grumpy: No help at all. I took that answer to mean yes, but he wasn't going to complain about it, so I told him if I got too many stares, I was going to steal his jacket, and we headed out to dinner. It would have been quite a hassle to find another appropriate outfit.

Moonbear said:
Does that mean you can fit those pants they sell in most stores? I keep wondering who fits them since they seem to have the waist and hips cut about the same size, when most women have thinner waists than hips. I expect to have less of a difference between waist and hip sizes in the junior or misses depts, but in women's clothing, surely someone could figure out that the waist should be tapered. :rolleyes:
No, if I buy a pair of pants to fit my waist, the hips and legs are so big, they look like clown pants. Then I'm at that odd height at the max range for petite and minimum for average (5'3"-5'4"), but very long legs and shortwaisted. So, the waist comes up under my armpits and the pant legs look like I'm ready to wade through high water. Liz Claiborne is the only line of clothing I've found that doesn't make me look like a freak. :redface:

hmmm... well, I'm glad you guys are so confident and secure about your bodies. i don't know if i do the pants thing... but I'm sure i say things similar... usually i probably make definitive statements though, like "i look gross in this shirt," or something... its definately an insecurity thing. I'm seeing this guy now, and he insists that i have a great body... i just never believe him though. i think he's just trying to be nice. if he says something like, "you look nice today," he usually gets annoyed at me cause i don't believe him, and i question him, and i get all stupid. usually i either act totally insecure, or i fake that I'm really hot.

Evo said:
No, if I buy a pair of pants to fit my waist, the hips and legs are so big, they look like clown pants. Then I'm at that odd height at the max range for petite and minimum for average (5'3"-5'4"), but very long legs and shortwaisted. So, the waist comes up under my armpits and the pant legs look like I'm ready to wade through high water. Liz Claiborne is the only line of clothing I've found that doesn't make me look like a freak. :redface:

Well, then I'm still boggled over just who fits those pants. I'd really like to see what shape the woman is that those are cut for!

I'm not much better off with the length either. Even petite pants can be too long for me, or other times they are too short. I always have to hem pants. I try to avoid ones that come with cuffs because I always screw those up when hemming (or like one pair, they get redesigned to not have cuffs when I mismeasure). I think I need a good seamstress to custom tailor my clothes.

Gale17 said:
hmmm... well, I'm glad you guys are so confident and secure about your bodies. i don't know if i do the pants thing... but I'm sure i say things similar... usually i probably make definitive statements though, like "i look gross in this shirt," or something... its definately an insecurity thing. I'm seeing this guy now, and he insists that i have a great body... i just never believe him though. i think he's just trying to be nice. if he says something like, "you look nice today," he usually gets annoyed at me cause i don't believe him, and i question him, and i get all stupid. usually i either act totally insecure, or i fake that I'm really hot.

Hey, you're just you. No reason to be unhappy with it. We've seen your face, with and without the pillow :biggrin:, and you are a very pretty young lady. If a guy compliments you, the appropriate answer is, "Thank you." Everyone has some good features/traits and some bad features/traits, and the trick is to find someone who finds even the bad features attractive (or at least endearing). :approve: If you see enough people risk their lives with eating disorders or cosmetic surgery just for appearances, you realize it's a lot easier to just accept yourself the way you are.

Gale17 said:
i don't know if i do the pants thing... but I'm sure i say things similar... usually i probably make definitive statements though, like "i look gross in this shirt," or something... its definately an insecurity thing.
This is what I'm trying to tell Huck. It's insecurity. There must be some evolutionary advantage to it or it would have been bred out of the human race a long time ago.

zoobyshoe said:
This is what I'm trying to tell Huck. It's insecurity. There must be some evolutionary advantage to it or it would have been bred out of the human race a long time ago.

Nope, doesn't have to be any advantage, as long as it isn't a disadvantage.

icvotria said:
I hate the way it's expected of women to make themselves look prettier than they really are, with make-up and fake tans and hair bleach and butt-diminishing trousers and all the rest.
This could have been said by 95% of the women I went to college with, back in the days when feminism was at its peak.

Where in hell did they all go?

Moonbear said:
Nope, doesn't have to be any advantage, as long as it isn't a disadvantage.
Correction, then:

There must not be anything disadvantageous about it, otherwise it would have been bred out of the human race long ago.

The pants thing is certainly in the jeans. :uhh:

zoobyshoe said:
I've been watching and taking notes. :biggrin:

edit- What explanation could there be for a genetic disposition for insecurity of appearance in women?

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
The pants thing is certainly in the jeans. :uhh:
I spent pages avoiding that pun.

Huckleberry said:
I've been watching and taking notes. :biggrin:

edit- What explanation could there be for a genetic disposition for insecurity of appearance in women?

its not genetic. Society is patriarichal. historically men courted women, and chose whichever one they felt most worthy, regardless of what we thought. if we wanted a good guy, the best we could do is try to be as appealing as possible to those guys. so developed the tendency for women to try and be as goodlooking as possible. then it became a competition and blah blah, now women still have that societal pressure to conform and look "pretty" and obviously, if you feel that much pressure, you eventually become insecure if you don't think you're pretty as society says you ought be and ya..

zoobyshoe said:
I spent pages avoiding that pun.

What can I say? I'm a pun whore.

Originally posted by Evo
A man is driving up a steep, narrow road.
A woman is driving down the same road.
As they pass each other, the woman leans out the window and yells "PIG!"
The man immediately leans out the window and replies,"B*tch!"
They continue on their way, and as the man rounds the next corner, he crashes into a pig in the middle of the road.
This would've been more accurate if the woman crashed into the pig. Cause everyone knows that women can't drive. :tongue2:

"todo lo que se mueva es calne y la calne es placer"

Here's a female-biased sexist joke off the internet
Eve was sitting in a corner in the garden. "Lord, I have a problem."
"What's the problem, Eve?"
"I know that You created me and provided this beautiful garden and all of these wonderful animals, but I'm just not happy."
"And why is that Eve?"
"Lord, I am lonely, and I'm sick to death of apples."
"Well, Eve, in that case, I have a solution. I shall create man for you."
"Man? What is that Lord?"
"A flawed creature, with many bad traits. He'll lie, cheat, and be vain; all in all, he'll give you a hard time. But he'll be bigger, faster, and will like to hunt and kill things. I'll create him in such a way that he will satisfy your physical needs. He will be witless, and will revel in childish things like fighting and kicking a ball about. He won't be as smart as you, so he will also need your advice to think properly."
"Sounds great," says Eve, with ironically raised eyebrows, "but what's the catch Lord?"
"Well, you can have him on one condition."
"And what's that Lord?"
"As I said, he'll be proud, arrogant, and self-admiring, so you'll have to let him believe that I made him first. And it will have to be our little secret -- you know -- woman to woman."
Heeheehee

icvotria said:
Here's a female-biased sexist joke off the internet Heeheehee
Where's the joke? :biggrin:

Gale17 said:
its not genetic.
There may not be a specific attraction-insecurity gene but insecurity itself has to be genetic. It is a mild form of fear, and without fear we'd do all kinds of dangerous stuff over and over and die before we were 10 years old.

Evo said:
Where's the joke? :biggrin:
Here it is:

Adam says to God: "You made Eve so beautiful! Why did you make her so beautiful?

"So you would love her."

"But she's very stupid. Whay did you make her so stupid?"

"So she would love you."

I think insecurity can take many forms. A person may become angry, or embarrassed, or arrogant or a number of other conditions. I think the point at which the ball leaves the hand, so to speak, in the fat pants quetion is where the insecurity manifests itself in vanity.

From the posts here it seems there definitely is much concern over females appearance, likely based in insecurity. Not one woman here yet has claimed that asking such a quetion is proper. I think the reason for this is a moral/ethical issue.

Is fear genetic or learned? Emotional responses can be attributed to activity in the brain and that would be genetic. The conditions that evoke these responses appear to be learned behaviors formed from society. I think insecurity is the social manifestation of the genetic capability to experience fear.

genetics, society, ethics/ fear, insecurity, vanity.