Why is entanglement crucial for quantum computing?

In summary, the benefits of entangling qbits include faster performance for certain algorithms, and the ability to "tag" a particular value in a calculation which can be done without reading its value.
skanskan
Hello

I understand what entanglement is and also what superposition is.
But I don't understand why qbits in a quantum computer must be entangled.

Physics news on Phys.org
They don't have to be entangled. But if you never entangle them, you might as well use a classical computer instead. It's easy to classically simulate quantum circuits that don't entangle qubits.

OK, What are the benefits of entangle the qbits?

skanskan said:
OK, What are the benefits of entangle the qbits?
Have you done ANY research into quantum computers?

No, I've just read a little bit.

skanskan said:
No, I've just read a little bit.
Then I suggest you read a bit more and ask questions when you hit something you don't understand.

That's what I don't understand. Why they have to be entangled.

I passed my exams on quantum mechanics some years ago, and I've read some sparse articles about quantum computers, annealing... and even wathched many videos on youtube about QC.
I understand all the basic concepts but I don't see why is entanglement a necessary condition.

You don't HAVE to entangle the qubits. There are plenty of single qubit gate operations, but you can't really do anything very useful with those (at least not if you want to compute something).
If you look at some of the more useful algorithms (say Grover's algorithm) you will find that they DO require that the qubits are entangled in order to work.

Or in other words: entanglement is the extra "resource" that these algorithms use in order to achieve a speedup.

Likes Demystifier
Hello.

@f95toli
Where can I read more details about why this happens?

skanskan said:
Hello.

@f95toli
Where can I read more details about why this happens?

I don't think I understand the question.
If you are asking why entanglement leads to speedup I don't think there is general answer to that question since it only leads to a speedup in some very specific cases, quantum computers are only faster than classical computers when you can use an algorithm that somehow can use entangled states to do something efficiently (say compute a Fourier transform).
Have you tried looking at e.g. the Wiki for Grover's algorithm? If you want to understand this in detail you need to get e.g. Nielsen&Chuang's book.

Entangling qbits allows you to "tag" a particular value in a calculation, which you cannot readout but can do operations on. For example in Grover's algorithm you can identify the correct item in a list and invert it without reading its value. The reading of its value is done at the end when the computation is finished.

1. Why is entanglement important in quantum computing?

Entanglement is important in quantum computing because it allows for the creation of qubits, which are the fundamental units of information in quantum computers. These qubits can hold more information than classical bits and can perform complex calculations simultaneously, resulting in faster and more powerful computing.

2. How does entanglement work in quantum computing?

Entanglement occurs when two or more qubits become linked in such a way that the state of one qubit affects the state of the other qubits, even when they are physically separated. This allows for the transfer of information between qubits and enables quantum computers to perform calculations in parallel, making them more efficient than classical computers.

3. Can entangled qubits be used for communication?

No, entangled qubits cannot be used for communication. Entanglement is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more qubits are created in a specific way, but once they are separated, they lose their entanglement and cannot be used to transfer information. However, entanglement can be used for secure communication by using it to create encryption keys.

4. What is the role of entanglement in quantum teleportation?

Entanglement plays a crucial role in quantum teleportation. In this process, the state of one qubit is transferred to another qubit without physically moving the qubit itself. This is possible because the two qubits involved in the teleportation process are entangled, allowing for the transfer of information between them.

5. Can entanglement be observed in everyday life?

No, entanglement is a phenomenon that occurs on a quantum level and cannot be observed in everyday life. It is a property of particles such as photons, electrons, and atoms, and can only be observed and manipulated in controlled laboratory settings. However, the applications of entanglement, such as in quantum computing and communication, have the potential to impact our daily lives in the future.