Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why no 3 up quark nucleon?

1. Jun 25, 2011 #1
    There are four Delta particles made up of down and up quarks and having spin 3/2, but there are only two nucleons, the proton and the neutron. Why are there no particles made up of three up (or down) quarks and having spin 1/2??

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2011 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Can't satisfy the Fermi statistics. (1) Three up quarks means the isospin part of the wavefunction is totally symmetric. (2) Must have three different colors red, green, blue, so the color part is totally antisymmetric. Conclusion: the spin part (3) must be totally symmetric. That requires it to be spin 3/2.

4. Jun 29, 2011 #3
    okey I see. This might be a really stupid question to you, but why cant we have a symmetric color wave function? The antisymmetric one is

RGB+BRG+GBR-RBG-BGR-GRB

why cant we have

RGB+BRG+GBR+RBG+BGR+GRB ?

5. Jun 29, 2011 #4

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Thanks, The requirement is that a hadron must be colorless, which is a stronger condition than what I said. Not only must the colors of the three quarks be different, they must form a singlet under the SU(3) color group, which requires them to be in the totally antisymmetric state. The totally symmetric color state on the other hand belongs to the 10 representation of color SU(3), and is not invariant, i.e. not "colorless".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook