Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why no unsolved probs in stats?

1. Feb 11, 2006 #1
    it seems like all the major problems in math/stats are only in math. why is that? is it because stats is a relatively new field of study (got started ~50yrs ago i think by florence nightingale?), not counting gauss' central limit theorem? or is it because statisticians only work with data collected in experiments, making it extremely concrete/experimental compared with math (esp pure math)? (that might come across as more ignorant that i want it to :blushing: ) what's the equivalent of the riemann hypothesis in statistics, if there is one?
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Florence Nightingale died in the early 1900s, she was born in the early 1800s.

Apart from that I have little to offer in this.
  4. Feb 11, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Also, she had a pet owl.
  5. Feb 23, 2006 #4
    You can get a Ph.D. in statistics, so there must be some research in the field

Here's a link to the University of Minnesota's Statistics Department. There are links to faculty research areas from here

6. Mar 4, 2006 #5
    Why not do research on brownian motion?
  7. Mar 11, 2006 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Statistics does not necessarily always work with data. There are unsolved problems in statistics. If there weren't, the stock market would not exist, for example.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?