Why Not a Geophysics/Planetary Physics Category?

• Thread starter BadBrain
  • Start date
In summary: THAT... THING!!!In summary, the conversation revolves around a forum member having their thread moved to a different category and requesting a new category for planetary physics. They also discuss the site owner, cookies, and a member's niece being a planetary geophysicist. The conversation ends with a link to an un-initiation video that causes confusion and a humorous reaction.
BadBrain
I recently had my thread: "Reason for Loss of Mas of Planet Mercury" (sorry for the typo on the word "mass") moved to the "General Astronomy" category. If Mercury has been ruled to be a star, I didn't get the memo.

What I wrote clearly belongs under the category of "Planetary Physics", and I'm a little surprised that this forum doesn't have a category for "Planetary Physics/Geophysics".

Would it be asking to much to request such a category?

(By the way, I'm taking another look at my Mercury theory, and I'm rapidly losing confidence in it, at least in its present form.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We have an "Earth" subforum in "other sciences"

An extra category would be nice, but I'm afraid it would be rather empty. There aren't a lot of planetary physics questions around. So I don't think it would deserve its own category.

There are other omissions, like a functional analysis forum or a civil engineering forum. But there are also not enough posts in order to create the new category...

But Greg knows all...

Pythagorean said:
We have an "Earth" subforum in "other sciences"

Thanks, although I'm not sure a post about Mercury would fit into a subforum entitled "Earth".

Micromass:

I get your point.

And who's "Greg"? (I'm new to this forum.)

By the way, I love your motto: "I am become the supreme onion, the saddener of worlds". Sort of like Professor Oppenheimer's famous Vedic quotation at Trinity Site.

Hi BadBrain, unfortunately we don't have enough space to create a subforum for every discipline, so we have to group things together.

Greg owns this site, and we are his minions. micromass is my personal Supreme Onion minion.

It will take awhile to get accustomed, but in the meantime, got a favorite fish?

P.S. If micro ever offers a link, don't click on it!

Evo said:

Evo! You're spoiling my fun :cry:

Evo said:
Hi BadBrain, unfortunately we don't have enough space to create a subforum for every discipline, so we have to group things together.

Greg owns this site, and we are his minions. micromass is my personal Supreme Onion minion.

It will take awhile to get accustomed, but in the meantime, got a favorite fish?

I understand the space issue. (Actually, being a planetary physicist, there are few space issues I shouldn't understand! :rofl: )

As far as my favourite fish is concerned, I really like Lake Perch, but I somehow think you're talking about something else. (Babel fish, perhaps?) In any case, could you please clarify?

Concerning Micromass's links, I'm not going near that one.

But, one question: Why do I always get tossed off the forum every half-hour or so after I've last posted? Is there some setting I need to adjust to prevent that, or do I just have to suffer through it?

BadBrain said:
As far as my favourite fish is concerned, I really like Lake Perch, but I somehow think you're talking about something else. (Babel fish, perhaps?) In any case, could you please clarify?

*slaps BadBrain with Lake Perch*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1xfp6Xeu0c

Now you're initiated.

But, one question: Why do I always get tossed off the forum every half-hour or so after I've last posted? Is there some setting I need to adjust to prevent that, or do I just have to suffer through it?

I find that annoying as well. But I'm afraid you'll have to suffer through it :frown:

BadBrain, when you log in, do you check the "remember me" box?

My niece is a planetary geophysicist.

Evo said:

There is a "remember me" box? You don't get logged out automatically if you click that? Wow...

micromass said:
There is a "remember me" box? You don't get logged out automatically if you click that? Wow...
Yeah, I have one and I never get logged off.

You don't have one when you go to log on?

Evo said:
Yeah, I have one and I never get logged off.

You don't have one when you go to log on?

Wow, this is so cool to know :cool: I'm trying it now.

micromass said:
*slaps BadBrain with Lake Perch*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1xfp6Xeu0c

Now you're initiated.

I find that annoying as well. But I'm afraid you'll have to suffer through it :frown:

OK. The fish slapping sketch was boring the first time I saw it decades ago, and it's hardly improved with age. But consider me initiated, whatever that means.

Evo said:

The site does, indeed, remember me, but it's still a slight hassle to have to log in every time I want to post.

And MASSIVE CONGRATS TO YOUR NIECE!

BadBrain said:
OK. The fish slapping sketch was boring the first time I saw it decades ago, and it's hardly improved with age. But consider me initiated, whatever that means.
We can un-initiate you, but the process is quite painful. :devil:

BadBrain said:
The site does, indeed, remember me, but it's still a slight hassle to have to log in every time I want to post.
Do you have something that prevents cookies from being placed on your computer?

And MASSIVE CONGRATS TO YOUR NIECE!
She's my brother's second wife's niece. I had nothing to do with it. :biggrin:

Poor peng.

I'm OK now. I've found the antidote:

Enjoy, all!

Last edited by a moderator:
BadBrain said:
If you check the "remember me" box when you login, and subsequently never logout, then you shouldn't ever need to login again on that same computer (provided your browser hasn't disabled cookies).

micromass said:
There is a "remember me" box?
Only for Evo. She clicks it, so that none of us can forget her. :biggrin:

Redbelly98 said:
Only for Evo. She clicks it, so that none of us can forget her. :biggrin:
Pffft, like I could ever be forgotten. :wink:

1. Why should geophysics/planetary physics have its own category?

Geophysics and planetary physics are distinct fields of study that require specialized knowledge and techniques. They cover a wide range of topics, from the structure and composition of planets to the forces and processes that shape their surfaces. Having a dedicated category would allow for easier navigation and organization of research in these areas.

2. How is geophysics/planetary physics different from other categories?

Geophysics and planetary physics involve the study of Earth and other planets, their atmospheres, and their interactions with the larger solar system. This is different from other categories, such as astronomy or astrophysics, which focus more on the study of stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole.

3. Would a geophysics/planetary physics category overlap with other categories?

While there may be some overlap with related fields, such as astronomy or geology, a geophysics/planetary physics category would have its own distinct focus and scope. This would allow for more specific and targeted discussions and research within these fields.

4. Are there enough researchers and discussions to warrant a separate category for geophysics/planetary physics?

Yes, there is a significant and growing community of researchers and discussions in the fields of geophysics and planetary physics. These fields are crucial for understanding our own planet and others in our solar system, and there is a wealth of ongoing research and discoveries in these areas that would benefit from a dedicated category.

5. Would a geophysics/planetary physics category be beneficial for non-scientists?

Absolutely. Geophysics and planetary physics are relevant to understanding and addressing a wide range of issues, from climate change to space exploration. Having a dedicated category would make it easier for non-scientists to access and learn about these topics, fostering a greater understanding and appreciation for the natural world around us.