Why not ask a good question?

• Thread starter Twistedseer
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation is about the guidelines for a philosophy forum not being met due to the lack of well-developed discourse and instead just stating opinions without any substance. The suggestion is made to ask a good question instead, specifically about the universe in a physics forum. The disagreement arises about what exactly breaks the guidelines and a reminder is given to keep the conversation on philosophical topics.
Twistedseer
From the thread:

What would your question be?

Sorry, I don't like the way this thread is going. This is bald assertion (or worse, unintelligble garble), not well developed philosophical discourse, and so does not meet the philosophy forum guidelines.

hypnagogue, I have to agree with you

Which is why I started my posts with

Why not ask a good question?

But

(or worse, unintelligble garble)

which answer did you not understand?

Its all very basic (and all true if not all that forthcomming)

I would be interested to know what exactly broke the guidlines?

But for this post as this is a physics forum, why not ask about the Universe and how it works?

Or just a good question.

Twistedseer

Physics news on Phys.org
I already explained what broke the guidelines-- bald assertion of statements with no substance (logical, empirical, or otherwise) behind them. It should not be hard to figure out I'm talking about.

In any case, this forum is meant to host philosophical topics, not questions about moderator actions. If you have further questions or comments, please use PM or (if appropriate) the feedback forum.

Asking a good question is essential in any type of discourse, especially in a philosophical forum. A good question is thought-provoking, well-developed, and encourages meaningful discussion. It is not just a simple query, but rather a challenging inquiry that prompts individuals to think critically and deeply about a topic. Without good questions, there can be no meaningful dialogue or exchange of ideas.

In regards to your question about the guidelines, it is not about understanding or not understanding your answer. It is about the overall quality and relevance of the discussion. As hypnagogue pointed out, your initial post was more of a bald assertion rather than a well-developed philosophical argument. It lacked depth and did not contribute to meaningful discourse.

While it is important to have a diverse range of topics in a forum, it is also important to stay within the designated theme. This is a physics forum, so it would be more appropriate to ask questions related to the universe and how it works, as you mentioned.

Overall, it is important to ask good questions in any forum, but it is especially crucial in a philosophical one. So, let's focus on asking thought-provoking and well-developed questions that can lead to meaningful discussions and exchanges of ideas.

1. Why is it important to ask a good question?

Asking a good question is important because it sets the foundation for finding meaningful answers and advancing our understanding of a topic. A good question is clear, specific, and thought-provoking, leading to insightful discussions and new discoveries.

2. How can I improve my question-asking skills?

Improving your question-asking skills takes practice and critical thinking. Start by identifying the purpose of your question and what information you are seeking. Then, refine your question to be more specific and avoid vague or biased language. Lastly, consider the context and audience of your question to tailor it for the best response.

3. Can a bad question lead to incorrect answers?

Yes, a poorly constructed question can lead to incorrect or irrelevant answers. This is because a bad question may not accurately convey what information or insight is being sought, making it difficult for others to provide a useful response. It's important to ask good questions to ensure accurate and meaningful answers.

4. How can I encourage others to ask good questions?

As a scientist, you can encourage others to ask good questions by modeling good question-asking behavior, providing positive feedback on well-crafted questions, and promoting a culture of curiosity and critical thinking in your team or community. You can also offer guidance and resources on how to ask effective questions.

5. Are there different types of good questions?

Yes, there are different types of good questions depending on the purpose and context. For example, open-ended questions encourage discussion and exploration, while closed-ended questions seek specific information. Clarifying questions help to clarify and deepen understanding, while hypothetical questions encourage creative thinking. The key is to ask the right type of question for the situation at hand.