Cooking Wine - No Drunkenness or Allergies?

• Thread starter brudally
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cooking
In summary, when cooking with wine, the alcohol evaporates leaving only the taste of the drink. This is due to alcohol having a low boiling point. Therefore, consuming food cooked with alcohol will not result in getting drunk. Additionally, the amount of wine typically used in recipes is not enough to have a noticeable effect even if all the alcohol did not evaporate.
brudally
you know what, all of the food I eat contains cooking wine. I also just sipped a bit, but why am I not drunk at all ? at least there must be some reactions like allergy on my skin, the same as when I drink beer, but it still like when I just come out from the bath-room, clean and well?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you cook food, the alchohol evaporates, leaving the taste of the drink, without the effects

Alcohol has a fairly low boiling point. When you cook with it, all the alcohol boils off and you're just left with whatever flavors were mixed with the alcohol. That's why you won't get drunk eating food cooked with alcohol.

I have no idea what you're talking about in your second question, and am not sure I want to know. :confused:

Really ??
but I read it again and I understand it completely, ok, please just forget it,

Thank you.

How much wine do you put in your food? Even if no alcohol evapourated, the amount of it in most recipies I've tried wouldn't be enough to have a noticable effect.

yomamma said:
When you cook food, the alchohol evaporates
Not all of the alcohol evaporates.

http://www.canoe.ca/HealthMayeMuskColumns/011009.html

Last edited by a moderator:
can anyone say OLD THREAD :smile: :wink:

1. What is cooking wine and how is it different from regular wine?

Cooking wine is a specially made wine that is used for cooking rather than drinking. It typically has a higher salt content and lower alcohol content compared to regular wine. This makes it less likely to cause drunkenness or allergic reactions when consumed in small amounts.

2. Can cooking wine be substituted for regular wine in recipes?

Yes, cooking wine can be used as a substitute for regular wine in recipes. However, keep in mind that cooking wine has a different flavor profile and may affect the overall taste of the dish.

3. Is cooking wine safe for people with alcohol allergies?

Cooking wine is generally considered safe for people with alcohol allergies, as the alcohol content is lower compared to regular wine. However, it is always best to check the ingredients list and consult with a doctor before consuming.

4. How should cooking wine be stored?

Cooking wine should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. It can be stored at room temperature, but can also be refrigerated to extend its shelf life.

5. Can cooking wine be used as a marinade?

Yes, cooking wine can be used as a marinade for meats and vegetables. The acidity in the wine can help tenderize and add flavor to the food. However, be sure to use it in moderation as too much can make the dish overly salty.