Why not free universal healthcare if

• News
  • Thread starter Benzoate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universal
In summary, free universal healthcare would be better than the current US system because it would improve coverage and treatment for chronic and preventable diseases. The cost of health care would decrease under universal healthcare, and private insurance companies would be eliminated.
Borek said:
French have low level of heart diseases, which is attributed to diet and wine, it has nothing to do with healthcare - it is just a lifestyle.

Health officials have clear impact to lifestyle. I for one try to listen reasonable sounding advice regarding things like my diet, physical exercise and rest. Since I was brought up in school medical inspection world, for example I go to the dentist every year to have my teeth checked even if I have no problems as a pre-emptive measure. Actually in my university days (yes, the good old) 2 years ago, the price of dental check was 4€. And I almost got the female dentist to go out with me, but no it wasn't my day. Now as an official ex-student it's about 40€.

I also believe that France has the worlds highest mortality rate in alcohol related liver cirrhosis. Naturally I have a another claim from the government of Hong Kong to support my claim. I bet that in the end this all is traceable to some statistical fact.

http://resources.edb.gov.hk/biology/english/health/definition_health/alcoholism.html

Borek said:
Note, that even if the example I gave (about low level of heart diseases and the reason behind) is wrong, my point is still valid :smile:

I guess you never lose a debate :smile:. But where is the challenge and the joy of snatching victory from the jaws of defeat?

Physics news on Phys.org

misgfool said:
Yes, but you are a client for your insurance company. The company wants to collect fees from you and avoid paying in case of an accident. However a company that does not have you as a client does not care of your wellbeing.
? My insurer is the only one that's relevant. Why should I, or anyone, care about some other company?

I think it is in the interest of the state to have healthy, working and productive citizens.
The state? It is just as much in the interest of every individual to be healthy, working, and productive.

It should be free because for private sector it is more profitable to treat patients. So for it there is a conflict of interest and it is prone to select the most profitable option.
Well that's just reiterating the point I refuted above. To my mind it is desirable to have a) an insurer and GP for which it is profitable to keep me healthy, and b) in the event I do get sick to have a well paid medical profession for which it is profitable to treat me, rather than shove me into the dirty corner.

mheslep said:

I think that our viewpoints differ too much to reach any meaningful conclusion. Therefore I forfeit. You win.