Why U1 and U2 on X Aren't Metrizable

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
I hadn't ever heard of the "Sorgenfrey line"- I looked it up. It is not "Hausdorf" as you define it but is "regular" which is a weaker condition. In a regular space, every closed set not containing a point and the point can be separated by open sets while in a Hausdorff space, every two points can be separated by open sets. As mathwonk said, if you have a T2 space, then you can generate a metric. That is, in a T2 space, x and y are distinct if and only if there exist open sets U containing x but not y, and V containing y but not x. You can define d
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

X={a,b}

Let U be a topology on X then

let U1={empty set, {a}, X}
U2={empty set, {b}, X}

why isn't U1 and U2 metrizable?

However {empty set, {a}, {b}, X} and {empty set, X} is metrizable.

The Attempt at a Solution

Can't see why.

Physics news on Phys.org
X is a rather small. You should be able to completely classify all metrics on X.

Well, what do you know about metric topologies? In particular have you seen the proof that every metric space is "Hausdorf" (T2)- given any two points, p and q, there exist disjoint open sets, one containing p, the other containing q (Take [itex]N_{\delta}(p)[/itex] and [itex]N_{\delta}(q)[/itex] with [itex]\delta[/itex] equal to 1/3 the distance between p and q)? In U1, there is no open set containing b but not a and in U2 there is no open set containing a but not b.

In {empty set, {a},{b}, X} (the "discrete topology) you can take d(p,q}= 1 if [itex]p\ne q[/itex], 0 if p= q. Then [itex]N_{1/2}(a)= {a}[/itex] and [itex]N_{1/2}(b)= {b}[/itex].

I believe, however, that {empty set, X} (the "indiscrete topology") is NOT metrizable. There exist no open set containing a but not b and likewise no open set containing b but not a so it is not Hausdorf (it is not even T0- {a} and {b} are not closed).

Last edited by a moderator:
Are T2 and T0 axioms of somthing? Here is the proof http://planetmath.org/?op=getobj&from=objects&id=5838

Are Hausdorff spaces all metrizable?

Are there extra conditions needed like this one?
Let (X,d) be a compact metric space, let (Y,U) be a Hausdorff space and let f:X->Y be a cts function that maps X ontp Y. Then (Y,U) is metrizable.
So an onto function must be found for a Hausdorff space to be metrizable.

Last edited:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SeparationAxioms.html

A topology satisfying the T2 axiom is usually called a Hausdorff topology.

edit: Try proving that every metric space is Hausdorff. It shouldn't be hard at all. If you can't do it, you really ought to look back at your definitions.

Last edited:
pivoxa15 said:
Are Hausdorff spaces all metrizable?

Are there extra conditions needed like this one?
Let (X,d) be a compact metric space, let (Y,U) be a Hausdorff space and let f:X->Y be a cts function that maps X ontp Y. Then (Y,U) is metrizable.
So an onto function must be found for a Hausdorff space to be metrizable.
I just noticed this latest edit.

The answer is no, not all Hausdroff spaces are metrizable. For example the Sorgenfrey line (i.e. the real line with the topology generated by the basis of half-open intervals [a,b), a.k.a. the lower limit topology) is Hausdorff but not metrizable. It's easy to see that it's Hausdorff; it's not metrizable because it's separable (i.e. has a countable dense subset) but not second countable (i.e. does not have a countable basis) (and separable metric spaces are second countable).

Now what do you mean by "an onto function must be found for a Hausdorff space to be metrizable"? This makes no sense whatsoever. What does finding such a function have to do with metrizability?

Anyway, there are 3 well-known (and non-trivial) general metrization theorems: Urysohn's, Nagata-Smirnov, and Bing's. For Hausdorff spaces in particular, I think (but am not 100% sure) that a necessary and sufficient condition for their metrizability is the following: A Hausdorff space X is metrizable iff there exists a continuous function [itex]f:X \times X\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] such that f-1({0}) = { (x,x) : x in X }. Or something equally bizarre. I'm pretty sure this is in Willard, General Topology, but I do not have a copy on hand to check.

Last edited:

1. Why is it important to know if U1 and U2 on X are metrizable?

It is important to know if U1 and U2 on X are metrizable because it tells us about the topological structure of the space. Metrizable spaces have a well-defined notion of distance between points, which allows for certain properties and theorems to hold. In contrast, non-metrizable spaces can have more complex or unusual topological properties.

2. What does it mean for U1 and U2 on X to be metrizable?

For U1 and U2 on X to be metrizable means that there exists a metric, or a distance function, that satisfies the properties of a metric space on these subsets of X. This metric can then be used to define a topology on U1 and U2, making them topological spaces in their own right.

3. What are some examples of spaces where U1 and U2 are metrizable?

Some examples of spaces where U1 and U2 are metrizable include Euclidean spaces, metric graphs, and topological manifolds. In general, any space that can be equipped with a well-defined notion of distance between points can be metrizable.

4. What are some examples of spaces where U1 and U2 are not metrizable?

Some examples of spaces where U1 and U2 are not metrizable include the Sierpinski space, the Cantor set, and the long line. These spaces have topological properties that cannot be captured by a metric, making them non-metrizable.

5. Can a space be partially metrizable?

Yes, a space can be partially metrizable. This means that some of its subsets are metrizable, while others are not. In fact, many spaces in mathematics and physics are only partially metrizable, such as the space-time in general relativity.