Exploring the Fear of Using "Spiritual

• Thread starter olde drunk
  • Start date
In summary: well, that's your business. but for me, it's simply a matter of recognizing the innate part of myself that exists beyond the corporeal and the material. it's the part of me that is eternal and infinite, and it guides me on my path.
Originally posted by Royce
It saddens me that so many have so much faith in science that they close their eyes and minds to everything else. I understand it but cannot condone it. There is so much more to being alive, being human, to reality than the mere human tool of science. I repeatedly tell Zero and Mentat and others; For Gods sake and your own open your eyes and mind and see what is. It is so obvious to me, so undeniable to me that I can't see why they can't or won't see.

It saddens me that people can't be happy with reality and so often feel the need to create their own, or believe others that have. The only thing that accomplishes is stunting the growth of our race.

Metaphysical beliefs, by definition, can not be "obvious." You can call it "engrained" or "beaten into your head" but not obvious, if it was obvious nearly everybody would be able to reach the same conclusion.

Science leads to truth. Religion attempts to personify truth, while basing their "truthfulness" on absolutely nothing but "I got this feeling that..."

Well have about this; I got this feeling that there is no god.

edit: spelling

Physics news on Phys.org
Metaphysical beliefs, by definition, can not be "obvious." You can call it "engrained" or "beaten into your head" but not obvious, if it was obvious nearly everybody would be able to reach the same conclusion.

actually, rather than being obvious (and it is far from obvious to some people that God exists, for example), it is self-evident.

Originally posted by Deeviant
`Science leads to truth. Religion attempts to personify truth, while basing their "truthfulness" on absolutely nothing but "I got this feeling that..."

Well have about this; I got this feeling that there is no god.

WHY DOES SPIRITUALITY HAVE TO BE TIED TO RELIGION?

have you not read any of this thread, or only picked and chose posts that suited you? if you are going to claim that science is the way to truth, then please at least read what everyone has to say! otherwise you are putting forward the biggest example of bias!

the whole point of this thread was to SEGRAGATE spirituality from religion and "celebrate" it as being human and the energy of being human...

geez...

are feelings observations? i mean, does one observe their feelings? do you observe your observations?

what do scientists do when they all observe the same thing?

science is never going to lead you to higher truth. and you know why? because it's incredibly boring. :P

Originally posted by Deeviant

If you had read my post correctly you would have seen that I said that it is obvious to me. Nor was I speaking strickly of religion but the spirit that makes us human and that here is so much more to life and reality than material objective science. I make nothing up nor invent anything. I only report and share what I personally ,and many others report and share, that I have seen and experienced.

Science leads to truth. Religion attempts to personify truth, while basing their "truthfulness" on absolutely nothing but "I got this feeling that..."

I am not talking about religion. I am talking about metaphysics, the subjective and spiritual (for lack of a better word) realms of reality, of being human and aware of our humanity and oneness, aware of the richness of that which is other than science.

edit: spelling [/B][/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Royce
If you had read my post correctly you would have seen that I said that it is obvious to me. Nor was I speaking strickly of religion but the spirit that makes us human and that here is so much more to life and reality than material objective science. I make nothing up nor invent anything. I only report and share what I personally ,and many others report and share, that I have seen and experienced.

I am not talking about religion. I am talking about metaphysics, the subjective and spiritual (for lack of a better word) realms of reality, of being human and aware of our humanity and oneness, aware of the richness of that which is other than science.

[/B][/QUOTE]

If you having such a problem with me calling your metaphysical beliefs a "religion" then ok call it spirituality and repond to them as such. But it really doesn't change anything.

Originally posted by Kerrie
eloquently said les...when i use the term spirituality i truly am referring to what makes humanity wonderful, what gives us our uniqueness from one another although we are "wired" the same...we all pulse at our own frequency, and this in my opinion is what makes being human wonderful...perhaps those who feel we are just biological robots have yet to understand their own creative pulse...
We don't deny that, we just deny that it is a magic trick...

That's what this all comes down to, IMO. Some people think the world is a wonderous place, full of mysteries that can be solved, ever new and greater wonders to be seen. Then, there are the "spiritual" people, who think the whole thing is a damned magic trick.

not like this matters much to you necessarily, but i for one don't believe in the supernatural. there is no mystical force guiding my destiny, i choose it with my God-given free will, damn it! ;P

and i don't believe in magic. i do believe in hypnosis, the power of suggestion, the placebo effect, phantom limb syndrome, and all that stuff, but not in the supernatural. to be honest, i don't think we really know the explanation for these things and so we call them supernatural. that places a limit on our thinking, imo. it's all natural, imo.

LOL!

"God-given" is a mystical, magic-trick answer...and you know how I feel about that!

;P

like you, i call 'em as i see 'em. they're just my opinions. you have yours and i have mine.

Originally posted by Zero
We don't deny that, we just deny that it is a magic trick...

That's what this all comes down to, IMO. Some people think the world is a wonderous place, full of mysteries that can be solved, ever new and greater wonders to be seen. Then, there are the "spiritual" people, who think the whole thing is a damned magic trick.

zero, are you a selective reader? i was attempting to "re" define spirituality, and it is clearly evident you still do not understand where i am coming from:

there is nothing magical or mystical about spirit, in essence, our spirituality is the part that makes us human-whether we are artists, philosophers, or scientists

RELIGIOUS BELIEFS AND MYSTICSISM HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT

does this defintion imply a magic trick? again, this thread is about spirituality, and it's true meaning as human beings

...the will and desire to utilize our minds to their max potential--which is a choice when it comes down to it...it seems today that there are so many mindless masses of people, who just exist and do not utilize their potential of will to be the best person they can be...again, you still haven't addressed my example of your spirituality being expressed in these forums...it's truly not a wonder why some get frustrated with you in this forum zero.

Originally posted by Kerrie
WHY DOES SPIRITUALITY HAVE TO BE TIED TO RELIGION?

the whole point of this thread was to SEGRAGATE spirituality from religion and "celebrate" it as being human and the energy of being human...

I like to agree with what you have said here but when you see what goes on daily in the world, it makes you wonder how much spirituality there is in humans. Terroists profess to have spirituality too, but it is sure not my definition. Humans may at times set meanings to words to suite there own needs. Spirituality may have a deeper meaning, when it get tied to religion, its meaning often gets distorted.

Originally posted by Rader
I like to agree with what you have said here but when you see what goes on daily in the world, it makes you wonder how much spirituality there is in humans. Terroists profess to have spirituality too, but it is sure not my definition. Humans may at times set meanings to words to suite there own needs. Spirituality may have a deeper meaning, when it get tied to religion, its meaning often gets distorted.

excellent point radar...i have to agree that humans set meanings of words to suit their own needs. it's too bad that terrorism (an excellent example) has distorted this meaning. but you do have to remember that the brainwashing of religion has tricked them into believing what they are doing is spiritual.

that's a good example of what delusion and sickness is, imo.