Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why not use the moon for energy?

1. Jul 28, 2003 #1
    Why not build an enormous solar collector panel on the moon and use it to harvest energy and somehow bring it back to earth? Is it the cost of the undertaking?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2003 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Getting the energy back to earth would be extremely difficult. It would be a lot easier to place solar panels in various desert areas (U.S southwest, Sahara, Kalari, Arabia, Gobi, etc.) on earth.
  4. Jul 28, 2003 #3

Science Advisor

Or even just to place them in orbit around the Earth, if you're talking about the advantages of no atmosphere/no night.
  5. Jul 28, 2003 #4

if you could set that up on the moon could you use focused microwaves to send the energy back to earth ive always wondered about something like that aswell

6. Jul 28, 2003 #5
    well i think solar panels usually charge up batteries for power, if you put panels on the moon, and use microwaves to send the energy back you could only be getting energy half the time. So you solve that you make the moon send it to a sattleite in geosynchronus orbit to power that and then send power back to us. But i dont think it would be worth it, since no one part of the moon is always pointed at the sun, you would only get a half cycle. So you would only get around 15 days a cycle when the panels are in the sun.
  7. Jul 28, 2003 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But just think how long the electric cables would have to be!
  8. Jul 29, 2003 #7
    When I first saw the topic of your post I thought of tides. Is there such a device that uses the tides caused by the gravitational field of the moon to produce energy? Not talking dams or the like, just using tidal motion to produce energy.
  9. Jul 29, 2003 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Certainly a major (but feasible) engineering undertaking which would require a lot of political motivation (which is not there at the moment).
  10. Jul 29, 2003 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Building solar panels on the moon isn't that great an option. The moon has a 28 day rotation. Any panel would be active for 14 days and then inactive for 14 days. Couple that with several hundred degree temperature shifts from day to night, and you'd have big problems keeping the array in operation for very long.

An orbital array is more feasible, but there is still a fairly large problem with maintenance. When the cells burn out, replacements would need to be brought up from the surface at $10,000 per pound, and then you'd still need to get a working repair craft to do the fix (which could also break down).

It's possible, but not very practical until we either get construction facilities in orbit for replacement parts or the launch costs drop dramatically.
  11. Jul 29, 2003 #10

popular science had an artical about a new way to collect energy from tides i thought it was pretty interesting, i tried finding the artical online but couldn't hope you have more luck, i thought it was really interesting

12. Jul 29, 2003 #11
  13. Jul 29, 2003 #12

Science Advisor

Re: tides

Yeah, I saw that one too. But it's not like I din't
    think of it before either. It's really the simplest stuff
    that even any kid can think of. Funding the consturction
    is a different issue. For example, wind turbines could
    easily supply all the power needs of the world and they
    operate all the time so any country can build them separately
    and would just have to make sure it has enough of them.
    The construction could easily be managed over the course
    of several years so that it would actually cost nothing
    at all because the new savings due to the turbines constructed
    each year would make up for the costs of their construction
    the year before. Once they supply the majority of the
    energy a country requires the financial gain, if other countries
    are still using fossil fuels or even nuclear plants, would
    be enormous since the turbines only require a bit of maintaince
    and nothing more. Why isn't being done ? Because an energy
    revolution like this in even just one small country will
    greatly affect the world's political and mainly economical
    arenas and power distribution and the ones in control