Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why not?

1. Apr 2, 2008 #1
    Question: Why aren't humans evolving? I know this might sound stupid, and I can see the progression from caveman to common day man, but we have lived, looking kind of the same, for sooo many years?(please correct me if I'm wrong

Are the people who have scientific mysteries with their bodies the ones who are evolving?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2008 #2
    You have to wait millions of years.

Shor term, you can look at all the inter-racial people of the world.

4. Apr 2, 2008 #3
    Because, so far, our intelligence has allowed us to trump evolution, giving to everyone more or less the same chances of passing on his or her genes. There can't be evolution without enough pressure for it to happen.

5. Apr 2, 2008 #4
    I saw some (journalist's summary of a) study that suggested that a person that is the ancestor of every living human being could have lived as early as the end of the ice age. Assuming some veracity to that and that that person came from a homogeneous group of people, that's a lot of evolving we've done. However, I don't think humans will evolve too much farther because there is already a lot of interracial marriage which tends to bring the races together. Brasil is a good example.

Edited for clarity

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  6. Apr 2, 2008 #5
    Does this help?
    Recent human evolution.

7. Apr 2, 2008 #6
    I don't think homo sapiens has been around that long.

8. Apr 2, 2008 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well, thousands anyway.

But we are taller than people just a few hundred years ago. That's mostly a matter of nutrition, though.

9. Apr 2, 2008 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

We are evolving.

Evolution is very difficult to see on a human timescale. You have to see it on the scale of hundreds or thousands of generations.

We are taller than we were a few thousand years ago, we have cross-breeding happening everywhere, we have genetic mutations that are becoming more and more common in the population (suggesting that those particular mutations are not harmful.)

10. Apr 2, 2008 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Doh!

11. Apr 2, 2008 #10
    Im tall. Evolution works!! I am biologically superior to you peons.

12. Apr 2, 2008 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Sickle cell anemia (mostly in African races) making for a partial immunity to malaria is a common beneficial mutation cited.

13. Apr 2, 2008 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Short of extinction, a species never stops evolving. Changes are always happening; they don't need to be huge and obvious to the naked eye to be part of evolutionary processes.

14. Apr 2, 2008 #13
    We still have an affinity for violence that is probably not necessary for survival anymore.
    I hope we don't have to go through thousands of years to get rid of that trait.

15. Apr 2, 2008 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're judging evolution based on just physical appearance. I don't know much about biology, but I think the genetics that determine how we look are a very, very small part of our total genetic make-up.

Think of all the microbes that assault our species every day - MRSA, flu, HIV, on and on. Some unlucky people die from these infections, some get sick but don't die - there's natural selection, right there.

16. Apr 2, 2008 #15
    I'm not understanding why that would stop anything.

Moreover, as someone pointed out, we no longer care about superior traits like nature does in the wild. Today, people who are born disabled or otherwise "inferior" (say naturally shy or small-statured) still have a good change of having kids. The miracle of Society!

17. Apr 2, 2008 #16

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You'll have to learn to make shorter posts... :tongue:

18. Apr 2, 2008 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Your term "superior" is subjective and only meaningful in context. In the human eco-system, able-bodied is not a survival trait.

19. Apr 2, 2008 #18
    Mainly evolving is for addapting to are sorrounding's... for example if you were to breed 5 gen's of people in 0gravity in space, are heads would expand and we would start evolving to addapt to are new sorrounding's.. mainly the it's what drive's the need for change for self presaverance of are self's and collectivly.

20. Apr 2, 2008 #19
    Being tall isn't a superior trait? Okay, hot-shot, remind me about that next time you can't reach something on the top shelf.

21. Apr 2, 2008 #20
    The Information form the DNA could not create its self to its preset from, because of the lack of Folic acid's in there diet's, mainly dark-greens, vegetables, liver, dried beans and pea's are primary source's, and they lacked them which leads to a deficiency disorder which would create stunted growth (especially of the fetus during pregnancy and of infant's) that's one of meany reason's why they lacked are fine looks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?