1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why only 2 sig. fig.?

1. May 31, 2013 #1
    I have the following info for a question:

x0 = 380m
    a = -9.80m/s^2
    t = ?
    v0 = 0

I use the formula x = x0 +v0t + (1/2)at^2

When I solve for 't' I get 8.80631

I figure I would round to 3 sig. figs. and have t = 8.81s, but my book is telling me t = 8.8 which is only 2 sig. figs.

Why are they reporting only 2 sig. figs. for this question?

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I agree 8.81s looks better. Apparently authors of the book were not treating significant figures too religiously. Please remember they are only an approximated way of dealing with precision, and not a very good one.

4. May 31, 2013 #3
    Here is the full question in case I missed something:

Estimate how long it took King Kong to fall straight down from the top of the Empire State Building (380m high).

I assume a = -9.80m^2. The only other thing I see is that the height of the building can be seen as only 2 sig. figs. since the last digit is '0', but I would normally take that as 3 sig. figs. since it is not stated as 'approximate'.

Any input?

5. May 31, 2013 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You haven't missed anything.

6. May 31, 2013 #5
    In questions involving the acceleration due to gravity at the Earth's surface the key word "Estimate" usually means "assume a = 10 ms-2". So an estimate would be the square root of 76, or 8.7.

8.81 would be more appropriate if the question said "Calculate..."

7. May 31, 2013 #6
    There is an ambiguity when dealing with significant figures and different people/textbooks use different conventions.

Often 380m indicates two significant figures.
    Including a decimal point after the last digit (380.m) would indicate three.

Using scientific notation removes the ambiguity
    3.8 is 2 sig figs
    3.80 is 3
    3.8000 is 5

Many of the introductory physics books I've seen use this convention.

8. May 31, 2013 #7

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook