Why ordinary users not thankful to helpful users answering

• Thread starter lonely_nucleus
  • Start date
In summary, many mentors and friendly members give concise replies to some OP's question and yet the OP does not like the reply to thank the answerer, I may be sounding arrogant but I believe that the users who help answer questions should be rewarded by the users who asked the question is all.
lonely_nucleus
I see many mentors and friendly members giving concise replies to some OP's question and yet the OP does not like the reply to thank the answerer, I may be sounding arrogant but I believe that the users who help answer questions should be rewarded by the users who asked the question is all.

Likes gracy
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi lonely_nucleus,

Yes, I agree with you and probably most who will read this thread will also do so. Unfortunately, the internet is full of people who have become accustomed to not having to utter the simple word "thanks". These will generally simply come here, post their thread, read some answers and leave, probably not thinking twice that some complete stranger took the time and effort of sitting down and helping them. Therefore, we will always have this type of posts.

On the good side, there are many frequent and infrequent users who do show their appreciation and thank the people who helped them both using the "Like" button and by posting a "Thanks, I think I got it!" in thread. I prefer to concentrate on this type of people and that attitude will clearly make people more willing to help in the future as well as make PF a better place.

Likes gracy, billy_joule and lonely_nucleus
For the record I'm cool with the pay-it-forward philosophy. If someone helps you, go out of your way to help someone else.

lonely_nucleus said:
I see many mentors and friendly members giving concise replies to some OP's question and yet the OP does not like the reply to thank the answerer, I may be sounding arrogant but I believe that the users who help answer questions should be rewarded by the users who asked the question is all.
As Orodruin noted, the Internet breeds causal rudeness.

Better yet is when people post a problem without having read the guidelines or used the template, thinking this is the physics version of Yahoo Answers. Is it that difficult to read the guidelines and to show even a half-baked attempt? Has it always been the policy of PF to help people solve the problem themselves instead of just giving them the answers?

lonely_nucleus said:

I don't answer questions just to get the reward of a thanks.

phinds said:

Do you equate a lack of politeness with rudeness?

Likes AlephNumbers
phinds said:

Drakkith said:

I have yet to see anyone be genuinely rude to an actual "homework helper", and I have been lurking in the introductory physics homework forums for a few months, now. I have, however, seen quite a bit of disregard for forum guidelines, and that is perhaps the closest to rudeness I have seen.

Drakkith said:
Yes. I'm probably overly sensitive on this, I know, but it was the way I was brought up. I'm perfectly willing to be rude to someone if I think it's called for but I try not to do it without thinking. I subscribe to Oscar Wilde's dictum
A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude
and I consider bad manners to be rude.

Likes slider142 and lonely_nucleus
AlephNumbers said:
Has it always been the policy of PF to help people solve the problem themselves instead of just giving them the answers?

I don't know if so from the start ... I would guess so ... Admin. Greg or other early members would be able to answer that
but it has been the way since I have been here and getting people to think the problem out for themselves with
the appropriate guidance is a good thing :smile:

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
phinds said:
That doesn't even compare to some of the posts that have been deleted.
Indeed.
Those threads usually follow one of two schemes.

The first one:
A: [homework problem with no or no real attempt]
B: What do you think / what did you try so far?
A: Just give me the solution!
... and so on

The second one:
A: I know that [something wrong]. Therefore, [follow-up question]?
B: Your premise is wrong, the question does not make sense.
C: Your premise is wrong, the question does not make sense.
D: Your premise is wrong, the question does not make sense.
A: Just answer my question!

Likes wabbit
Drakkith said:
I don't answer questions just to get the reward of a thanks.
mfb said:
Indeed.
Those threads usually follow one of two schemes.

The first one:
A: [homework problem with no or no real attempt]
B: What do you think / what did you try so far?
A: Just give me the solution!
... and so on

The second one:
A: I know that [something wrong]. Therefore, [follow-up question]?
B: Your premise is wrong, the question does not make sense.
C: Your premise is wrong, the question does not make sense.
D: Your premise is wrong, the question does not make sense.
A: Just answer my question!
Friend you speak words that are not of atoms glow. There are questions that cannot be answered by anyone and there are questions which have a direct solution. If a member wants a concise answer a good member should give him the solution straightforward. The OP should thank the concise answer if he is satisfied with it.

lonely_nucleus said:
Friend you speak words that are not of atoms glow. There are questions that cannot be answered by anyone and there are questions which have a direct solution. If a member wants a concise answer a good member should give him the solution straightforward. The OP should thank the concise answer if he is satisfied with it.
That's not what we do here. We help students learn how to find the answer, we do not just hand them the answer, that only hurts the student.

Likes gracy, bigfooted, Ryan_m_b and 2 others
lonely_nucleus said:
As Evo said, spoon feeding someone answers is useless. Anyone who wants to waste their time that way can find other forums where "mentors" are just there to show how smart they are. Out mentors are here to teach and be helpful. They already know they're smart.

Likes gracy and berkeman
AlephNumbers said:
In the case that a person deliberately disregards the guidelines, I suppose it could be considered "rude".
We mentors consider it "infraction-worthy."

Likes lonely_nucleus and edward
Mark44 said:

I am quite easily intimidated, and I would like to say that that intimidates me.

AlephNumbers said:
In the case that a person deliberately disregards the guidelines, I suppose it could be considered "rude".
Mark44 said:

AlephNumbers said:
I am quite easily intimidated, and I would like to say that that intimidates me.
It should intimidate you only if you deliberately disregard the forum rules. That was the context in which I wrote that comment.

I know. I wrote that I was intimidated in the context of being a person who is easily, and perhaps unreasonably, intimidated. Paranoid, even. I trust the benevolent dictators of PF, and I have no intention of breaking any rules.

AlephNumbers said:
I know. I wrote that I was intimidated in the context of being a person who is easily, and perhaps unreasonably, intimidated. Paranoid, even. I trust the benevolent dictators of PF, and I have no intention of breaking any rules.

Yet you are blatantly ignoring the rule that your name must match your avatar ! (kidding).

AlephNumbers said:

I used to be like that and look what they did to me. The worst of all possible punishments. They made me a mentor! :-p:wink:

Likes Drakkith and Greg Bernhardt
Evo said:
That's not what we do here. We help students learn how to find the answer, we do not just hand them the answer, that only hurts the student.
Suppose you wanted some apple sauce from me. I am a reasonable person so I give you an apple sauce cup. Now suppose you ask me for apple sauce but instead of me giving you the apple sauce cup I get a spoon and feed you the apple sauce myself, that is I do not give a direct solution.

lonely_nucleus said:
Suppose you wanted some apple sauce from me. I am a reasonable person so I give you an apple sauce cup. Now suppose you ask me for apple sauce but instead of me giving you the apple sauce cup I get a spoon and feed you the apple sauce myself, that is I do not give a direct solution. Now we can all agree that when I give you the apple sauce with no conditions it makes you happier ehh?
You have it completely backwards. PF is against spoon-feeding, that is giving direct answers. We talk about apple sauce recipes, or point out the jar of apple sauce that is right there on the shelf, be we do not feed you apple sauce.

Likes davenn, Greg Bernhardt and Evo
lonely_nucleus said:
Suppose you wanted some apple sauce from me. I am a reasonable person so I give you an apple sauce cup. Now suppose you ask me for apple sauce but instead of me giving you the apple sauce cup I get a spoon and feed you the apple sauce myself, that is I do not give a direct solution.
But I did not learn anything from you, so tomorrow I will go hungry, you did me no favor. We're here to help students learn, not to spoon feed them. We're here to empower them to be able to solve the problems, which in turn makes them happy.

Likes gracy and Greg Bernhardt
But surely one would like to spoon feed itself or have ego(self esteem) . Most of PF members are above age 16 and mature.
One would surely love the reason of answer.
Giving them direct answers would not hurt I suppose as they eventually would need the reason.
Guys posting the question would also not expect direct answers as they have done the effort of posting problem.

Evo said:
But I did not learn anything from you, so tomorrow I will go hungry, you did me no favor. We're here to help students learn, not to spoon feed them. We're here to empower them to be able to solve the problems, which in turn makes them happy.
I believe that the OP decides whether he wants proofs to justify the solution or only the solution so he can justify the proofs. One thing I do not appreciate is indirect answers.

Likes davenn and phinds

1. Why do some ordinary users not appreciate helpful users who answer questions?

There could be a variety of reasons for this. Some users may feel frustrated or embarrassed that they couldn't find the answer on their own. Others may not fully understand the effort that goes into providing helpful answers. Additionally, some users may simply not be aware that showing gratitude is important in online communities.

2. Are there any benefits to being a helpful user who answers questions?

Absolutely! By providing helpful answers, you are contributing to the overall knowledge and community of the platform. This can lead to a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction, as well as potentially gaining recognition and respect from other users. It can also improve your own understanding and knowledge on the topic.

3. Do helpful users expect to be thanked for their answers?

While it is always nice to be thanked for your contributions, it is not necessarily expected or required. Many helpful users are simply happy to share their knowledge and help others without expecting anything in return.

4. How can ordinary users show their appreciation to helpful users?

There are many ways to show gratitude to helpful users. Some common ways include leaving a positive comment or upvoting their answer, sharing the helpful answer with others, or simply saying thank you. Taking the time to show appreciation can go a long way in fostering a positive and supportive community.

5. Is there a way to encourage more gratitude towards helpful users?

One way to encourage more gratitude towards helpful users is by setting a positive example yourself. If you see a helpful answer, take the time to thank the user and show your appreciation. Additionally, platforms can also implement features such as a "thank" or "like" button to make it easier for users to show their appreciation.