Why particular solutions?

• Thread starter LumenPlacidum
  • Start date
In summary, the general solution for a non-homogeneous system of differential equations is the sum of the complementary solution and a particular solution, and the particular solution accounts for the non-homogeneous term in the differential equation.
LumenPlacidum
If the purpose of the general form of the solution to a differential equation is to represent a formula with parameters for the solutions to that differential equation, why is it that we typically want to add some particular solution to the general one?

Solution = General Solution + Particular Solution.

I suppose I understand why you'd want it there, but the part that I don't remember from my Diff. Eq. stuff from long ago is why the particular solution is not included in the general solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
The particular solution is for the corresponding non-homogeneous equation. In other words, on the right hand side of the differential equation, zero is replaced with some function.

A particular solution is a solution that satisfies boundary or initial value conditions. It shows up in inhomogeneous differential equations, as far as I recall.

So, is this appropriate?

The general solution for a non-homogeneous system of differential equations is analogous to the +C of integration. Because of the superposition principle, any function of the form of the general solution COULD be a part of the solution for the ODE since it would have become exactly zero upon substitution for y.

LumenPlacidum said:
If the purpose of the general form of the solution to a differential equation is to represent a formula with parameters for the solutions to that differential equation, why is it that we typically want to add some particular solution to the general one?

Solution = General Solution + Particular Solution.
No, this isn't quite right. It is General Solution = Complementary solution + Particular Solution = yc + yp. The complementary solution is the solution to the associated homogeneous problem.
LumenPlacidum said:
I suppose I understand why you'd want it there, but the part that I don't remember from my Diff. Eq. stuff from long ago is why the particular solution is not included in the general solution.
The homogeneous problem is f(t, y, y', ... ,y(n)) = 0; for example, y'' + 4y' + 4y = 0.
The nonhomogeneous problem is f(t, y, y', ... ,y(n)) = g(t); for example, y'' + 4y' + 4y = t.
The solution to the homogeneous problem is a linear combination of e-2t and te-2t. As it turns out for my example, the particular solution is yp = -5/4 + t/4.

We know that yc is a solution to the homogeneous problem, which means for my example, yc'' + 4yc' + 4yc = 0. We also know that yp is a particular solution of the nonhomogeneous problem, so yp'' + 4yp' + 4yp = t.

Then for a general solution y = yc + yp, we will have y'' + 4y' + 4y = t, regardless of which linear combination of e-2t and te-2t we choose.

1. Why is it important to find solutions to problems?

Finding solutions to problems is important because it allows us to overcome challenges, improve our lives, and make progress as a society. It also helps us innovate and discover new possibilities.

2. How do you determine which solution is the best?

Determining the best solution involves careful evaluation and consideration of all available options. This may include conducting experiments, analyzing data, consulting with experts, and considering various factors such as cost, feasibility, and potential impact.

3. Why is it necessary to consider multiple solutions?

Considering multiple solutions is important because it allows us to explore different perspectives and approaches, and ultimately find the most effective and efficient solution to a problem. It also helps us avoid potential biases and limitations.

4. How do you test the effectiveness of a solution?

The effectiveness of a solution can be tested through various methods such as conducting experiments, collecting data, and gathering feedback from stakeholders. It is important to establish clear criteria for success and measure the outcomes against those criteria.

5. What role does creativity play in finding solutions?

Creativity plays a crucial role in finding solutions as it allows us to think outside the box and come up with innovative ideas. It also helps us find alternative solutions and adapt to changing circumstances. Without creativity, we may be limited to conventional and less effective solutions.