Do Photons Spin in Our Reference Frame?

In summary: The two most common states of helicity are called the eigenstates of the spinor and they are denoted by |psi〉 and |psi〉. Consider a photon flying in the direction of z-axis. Any vector massive particle can have 3 spin states - however one of them requires the z component of momentum to be 0 (particle in rest). Photon can not be in rest, so only 2 spin states remain.i do wonder about the spin of the photon. in OUR reference frame, do we see the photon spinning or not, if we apply special relativity?In summary
scope
hi,

i have read that photons must have an angular momentum because they have no rest mass. does anyone there understand why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you read this? And what exactly did it say?

sorry, i don't know, for example the two possible values of the spin projection of photon in QFT are h/2pi and -h/2pi, and not 0.

i do wonder about the spin of the photon. in OUR reference frame, do we see the photon spinning or not, if we apply special relativity?
by the way how does spin transform under Lorentz transformations?

I would be grateful for any reply

scope said:
sorry, i don't know, for example the two possible values of the spin projection of photon in QFT are h/2pi and -h/2pi, and not 0.

i do wonder about the spin of the photon. in OUR reference frame, do we see the photon spinning or not, if we apply special relativity?
Consider a photon flying in the direction of z-axis. Any vector massive particle can have 3 spin states - however one of them requires the z component of momentum to be 0 (particle in rest). Photon can not be in rest, so only 2 spin states remain.

scope said:
The polarization parallel to the momentum is ruled out because photons are massless. You cannot go to their rest frame.
This can be understood in QED in the following way: QED has a U(1) gauge symmetry which allows you to eliminate one gauge degree of freedom. Let's keep things as simple as possible and set A°=0= use the (time-gauge; now we have eliminated one polarization.

A°=0 is a rather good choice as A° is not a dynamical degree of freedom b/c its conjugate momentum is zero; therefore it acts as a Lagrange multiplier genarating a constraint. This constraint is the Gauss law G which again must be set to zero, i.e. G=0. In addition the Gauss law generates time-independent gauge transformations which respect the A°=0 gauge, that means gauge transgformations where the gauge function is time-independent.

Via this residual gauge symmery or (which is more or less the same) via the solution of the Gauss law constraint another degree of freedom can be eliminated leaving us with to physical polarizations of the photon.

If we would introduce a mass term in the Lagrangian gauge invariance would be broken and the A°=0 gauge would no longer be allowed (so the first elimination does no longer work). But A° is still a Lagrange multiplier, the - now modified - Gauss law G'=0 would still be solved for and the second elimination would go through leaving us with three degrees of freedom.

scope said:
by the way how does spin transform under Lorentz transformations?
The Lorentz group has a rather complicatedstructure. In principle it is something like SO(3,1), but one must use the complexification / the universal covering group Spin(4) which is (locally) the same as SU(2)*SU(2). Now every SU(2) has integer and half-integer representations leaving us with two series like 0, 1/2, 1, 3/2, ... E.g. the Dirac equation uses 4-spinors (which are bi-spinors) transforming as (1/2, 1/2) using two 2-spinors, one from each series.

For massless particles the situation is slightly different and I think it's etter not to use spin but helicity.

1. Why do photons have spin 1?

Photons have spin 1 because they are a type of elementary particle known as a boson. According to quantum mechanics, all bosons have a spin of either 0, 1, or 2. Photons have a spin of 1, meaning they have one unit of angular momentum.

2. What does spin 1 mean for photons?

Spin is a quantum property of particles that describes their intrinsic angular momentum. Photons, with a spin of 1, have a unique set of quantum numbers and behave differently than particles with other spin values. This spin value also determines how photons interact with other particles.

3. How is the spin of photons measured?

The spin of photons can be measured through experiments such as the Stern-Gerlach experiment, which uses magnetic fields to observe the deflection of particles with different spin values. The spin of photons can also be inferred from other properties, such as the polarization of light.

4. Can photons have a spin other than 1?

No, according to the Standard Model of particle physics, photons can only have a spin value of 1. This is because photons are massless particles and their spin is directly related to their mass. Since photons have no mass, they can only have a spin of either 0, 1, or 2.

5. Why is the spin of photons important?

The spin of photons is important because it helps us understand the fundamental properties of light and electromagnetic radiation. It also plays a crucial role in various phenomena, such as the photoelectric effect and the behavior of lasers. Additionally, the spin of photons has implications in fields such as quantum mechanics, particle physics, and optics.