Why is this website called Physics Forums?

• Thread starter muna580
  • Start date
In summary, the website "Physics" Forums started as a physics and math help forum and has since expanded to cover other sciences. The decision to keep the name was due to its catchy and memorable nature. The origin of the name involves a dramatic and adventurous story, and there was a brief attempt to change it to "Psychics Forums" before settling on "Physics" Forums.
muna580
Why "Physics" Forums

I realized that this webiste is not only related to "Physics" it is also related to mathametics and other sciences. But why is this site called "Physics" Forums. Why not Science Forums or something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
It started off as a physics and math help forum. Why change the name after all these years?

All science is either physics or stamp collecting.
- Ernest Rutherford

One could argue that all science has its basis in physics.

muna580 said:
I realized that this webiste is not only related to "Physics" it is also related to mathametics and other sciences. But why is this site called "Physics" Forums. Why not Science Forums or something else?
There is already a "Science Forums (sciforums.com)," and a few others with similar names.

See the thread on the Origin of PF.

:tongue2: Because the name still sounds so good as it jumps off the lips.

This is Greg's version of how it all started.

Greg Bernhardt said:
The beginning is breathtaking and captivating story that should be told in a spielberg film. It was spring 2001 and the muggy amazon air was wearing heavy in my lungs and and covered my body with a cloak of sweat. It was getting dark and I knew my kogi tribal guide was trembling with fear and wouldn't help me for long as we near the hidden temple. With the strength of a thousand ox I crawled through waist high swamp full of snakes and hungry gators to finally reach the temple door. The temple was dark and reaked of death with scores of hanging vines weaving throughout the passageways. I used my machete to hack my way to the main burial chamber. I opened the ancient sarcophagus with the text "Chief Crazyhead Mattson" and I was confused, but in a weird rush of clarity it made sense. Sweating from the heat and shear fear of what I'd find, I reached inside the damp and dusty sarcophagus and slowly brought up what I had been searching for...

We tried "Psychics Forums", but no one could find us. Having thus disproven the supernatural realm, we went the scientific route...

I actually find it amusing when we get the occassional stray post from someone who has clearly misread physics as psychics. :rofl:

What is Physics Forums?

Physics Forums is an online community where scientists, physicists, and other individuals interested in physics can come together to discuss and learn about various topics in the field of physics.

Why should I join Physics Forums?

Joining Physics Forums allows you to connect with other individuals who share a passion for physics and engage in discussions and debates on various topics. It is also a great place to ask questions and receive helpful answers from knowledgeable members.

What kind of topics are discussed on Physics Forums?

Physics Forums covers a wide range of topics including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, astrophysics, thermodynamics, and many more. Members can also discuss current events and news related to physics.

Can I get help with homework or assignments on Physics Forums?

While Physics Forums is not a homework help site, members are encouraged to ask conceptual questions and receive guidance on solving problems. However, direct answers or complete solutions are not allowed.

How can I contribute to Physics Forums?

As a member of Physics Forums, you can contribute by participating in discussions, sharing your knowledge and expertise, and helping others with their questions. You can also report any issues or violations of the community guidelines to help maintain a positive and productive environment.