Quantum Mechanics: Origin of the Term & Why Mechanics?

In summary, the term 'mechanics' is used in physics in a general sense to approach various problems by considering forces acting on objects. This approach exists in two forms, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, and has a long history dating back to classical mechanics. Therefore, quantum physics, which is based on the same principles, is often referred to as quantum mechanics. This may seem incongruous, but mechanics is used in a broader sense in physics than in everyday life, including the study of fields. The term's popularity in popular discourse may be due to its association with mechanical principles, but it is a more general concept in physics.
Quotidian
Why is 'quantum physics' often referred to as 'mechanics'? I'm interested in the specific origin of the term - when it came into vogue, and why 'mechanics' was thought suitable as a term, when it doesn't seem at all obvious that the subject matter involves mechanical principles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned any QM? If so, were you not struck by the parallels between QM and Classical mechanics? The same kinds of problems using similar techniques (Lagrangian and Hamiltonian) as Classical?

Likes bhobba and berkeman
I've read popular science books, like Brian Greene and Paul Davies, but have never studied physics after high school. But the term has entered popular discourse, so I'm just interested in the etymology. 'Quantum Physics' seems fairly self-evident but I associate 'mechanics' with mechanical (perhaps incorrectly!)

Quotidian said:
but I associate 'mechanics' with mechanical (perhaps incorrectly!)
The term ''mechanics'' is used in physics in a much more general way than in everyday life. For example, classical electrodynamics and fluid flow (''fluid mechanics'') are also treated according to the principles of classical mechanics.

Mechanics is a particular, systematic and general way to approach arbitrary problems in physics by means of forces acting upon objects, whether the objects are particles, solids, fluids, or fields. Its modern form exists in two closely related approaches - Lagrangian mechanics and Hamiltonian mechanics. For the history see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanics.

Thus quantum physics treated by the quantum version of the same principles is called quantum mechanics.

Last edited:
Likes Imager, atyy and berkeman
That's interesting! That is actually just the explanation I was looking for. (I hadn't thought to look up the Wikipedia entry on mechanics.) But I think the incongruity I'm feeling is the application of mechanics to 'fields'.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is based on the principles of quantum theory, which describes the behavior of particles as both waves and particles.

2. What is the origin of the term "quantum mechanics"?

The term "quantum mechanics" was first used by German physicist Max Born in 1924. It comes from the Latin word "quantum," meaning "how much," and the word "mechanics," which refers to the study of motion and forces.

3. Why is it called "mechanics" if it deals with particles at the atomic level?

Despite its name, quantum mechanics is not concerned with the physical movements of particles, but rather with their behavior and interactions. The term "mechanics" is used because it is based on mathematical equations that describe the motion of particles.

4. What are the key principles of quantum mechanics?

The key principles of quantum mechanics include the wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, and superposition. These principles describe the behavior of particles at the atomic level and help explain phenomena such as quantum entanglement and the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics, also known as Newtonian mechanics, is based on the laws of motion and describes the behavior of particles at the macroscopic level. Quantum mechanics, on the other hand, is based on the principles of quantum theory and deals with particles at the atomic and subatomic level, where classical mechanics breaks down.