Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why relativistic inner core?

1. May 8, 2006 #1
    Can anyone please explain why the inner core electrons for heavier elements would have relativistic momenta? I have not seen this clearly explained before.

My thinking is: given the stronger coloumbic interaction with the nucleus (and e-e repulsion with the higher energy shells) that the spatial regions that these electrons can occupy for a given energy is limited, in order for the electrons to exist in these regions they must have a certain minima (quanitized) energy - the remainder of which is kinetic.

is this right?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  4. May 10, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Bohr calculation (although not good for accuracy, but still good enough for an OoM estimate perhaps) throws some light: [itex]v_n ~~\alpha~~ z/n [/itex].

Alternatively, you could think of this in terms of the higher (in magnitude) potential energy and the virial theorem.
  5. May 10, 2006 #4
    thanks guys, the Bohr velocity makes sense to me, the virial theorem as well

could the HUP also be used to show this somehow - that since the core electrons are restricted (probabilistically) to certain spatial regions, that the uncertainty in the momentum will go up?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?